Nu Nu and Gboy's 66 gallon Red Sea Max build

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Oh not many fish! Haha do you consider it stocked? Does it have alot of swimming room for your fish? Just trying to see if a bannerfish would do ok :)

No I always stock low and have more coral, it's just the way I like to go about it, im sure you could have double the amount and still be ok.

Alright thanks! Did our stock list look ok? I think my bro posted it. We do not have our hearts set on a tang, and many people on here have said its a bad idea, but other people on differant forums think it would be ok. Would a small kole/bristletooth tang do ok in your tank?

I personally wouldn't put a tang in, I believe they need more lateral room. The way I look at it is what's the point in risking introducing ich just to have a tang?

Yup i agree! No qt so ich would be a disaster for us. Haha is the stock ok? There are alot of things that can still change!

Gboy66 said:
Heres the stock of the 66 as it stands...

Sw Stock List

1 occerellis clownfish
1 dragonette (in a year)
1 Orange stripe prawn goby
1 excusite Fairy wrasse
1 flame angel (debatable)
1 chalk bass
1 midas blenny
1 Schooling bannerfish (maybe...we will see!)
Too many? Just the right amount?

Invert list

2 cleaner shrimp
4 peppermint shrimp
1 tiger pistol shrimp
1-2 fire shrimp (eventually)
1 emerald crab
1 brittle star

And i am going to buy a Cuc from reefcleaners, probably the 20-30 gallon tank package. They usually give you way more anyways

Here it is as of right now

I wouldn't bother with the angel. They look nice but may eat your coral and add another clown, I personally think they do better in pairs.

Leighton79 said:
I have a pair of clowns, yellow watchman, copperband butterfly and a fox face lo in there, everybody gets along just fine.

Is the foxface lo reef safe?

1 Schooling bannerfish
That's a bit of an oxymoron, no? ;)

I also would not recommend a dragonet for a tank that does not have a refugium, regardless of how old the tank is. They graze just about constantly, and will quickly deplete a tank's pod population.

Here's an article about Heniochus. http://www.wetwebmedia.com/heniochu.htm

Last edited:
Hahaha it is. Should we not get one? Because we dont have the room for a trio. We heard they are not reef safe, is this true?

I think we will only get a mandarin if it eats prepared foods. It will be a challenge that we might take on when the tank is very established. We will leave room in te stock just in case!

I honestly don't know. That article talked about them being easy to feed, but I didn't really see a mention of whether they would be reef safe. Most butterfly fish are not. I think the bannerfish is one of the more reef safe options as far as butterfly fish but definitely let someone else weigh in on that. The shop I worked for kept them in the fish only system so I don't have any experience with them in a reef. I do think that the most commonly available Heniochus will grow too large for the tank.

severum mama said:
I honestly don't know. That article talked about them being easy to feed, but I didn't really see a mention of whether they would be reef safe. Most butterfly fish are not. I think the bannerfish is one of the more reef safe options as far as butterfly fish but definitely let someone else weigh in on that. The shop I worked for kept them in the fish only system so I don't have any experience with them in a reef. I do think that the most commonly available Heniochus will grow too large for the tank.

Okay thank you, i will ask some more people about them! :) haha i saw them at the lfs and we really want to get one. Should it be the last fish we add? I want 1 bigger fish that will be my centerpiece and im looking for other fish like a bannerfish..

Nu-Nu the eel said:
Okay thank you, i will ask some more people about them! :) haha i saw them at the lfs and we really want to get one. Should it be the last fish we add? I want 1 bigger fish that will be my centerpiece and im looking for other fish like a bannerfish..

Midas Blenny!

Edit: Nvm you've got that already lol

Yes we love the midas! We are leaving next week, so next weekend we will break down the 2 tanks and transfer everything from the 30 to the 66. The wait is killing me.

Anyone know anything about reef-safe lobsters? One that wouldnt harm small inverts/fish?

I don't have to repeat what I said about the lobster lol. Sounds really cool do far. And nunu, I recommended a green wrasse to your bro. You may want to check it out.

Oh wow i like the green wrasse! Looks sweeeet :) haha. I saw a flame angel yesterday for 39 bucks and it was a good size. I really want it but we are leaving town in 3 days. How do you guys feel about it?

Anyone know anything about reef-safe lobsters? One that wouldnt harm small inverts/fish?

This is my reef lobster that I have had for 8 yrs now. Have not had any problems so far. If you are getting him to be seen forget it as I`ve seen him only 7 times in eight yrs. I had to get up late at nite to see him in that pic.

100_1948.jpg

Also an informational link on them.

Saltwater Aquarium Inverts for Marine Reef Aquariums: Debelius' Reef Lobster

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom