Nubie in distress

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Arden

Aquarium Advice Newbie
:fish2: This is my first thread. I am really new at this and I mean really new. Never been on a forum discussion before. not really sure how to do this, or where to post or how to get around. I have had aquariums all my life but I skipped about 30 years. My granddaughter wanted one and I had a week moment so I got a 28 gal. then a year later I got a 55 gal. then I got into trouble and got a 10 gal a 5 gal two 2 1/2 gal and two 1 gal. I have orange buckets lining my living room floor and my husband says they are taking over. I am having a delima and it has been going on for 1 1/2 months. I am loosing all my fish one by one then three by three and now I am loosing fish daily.

How does your water look when you test it? And if you are all the sudden losing fish maybe something changed in your water supply.

My 28 gal which is my original tank has nitrates through the roof 160. It has been this way for over a month. I have bought water that is supposed to be no metals or anything else. 50% water changes several times. When I do a water change temp. the same as in aquarium some of my older healthier fish get fin something. it is not ick but looks like i took a white pen and drew a line around all fins. My temp is at 80. She was fine 2 -3 days later. So I was nervous doing a water change that drastick. So I have done 20-30% every week. I have used salt in the water also prime, stress coat, stress zyme. The levels have not changed. Then I was told to go back to using tap water and with the right chemicals it should be fine. He also told me to get a bottle of start smart bacteria which I did and added that also. PH 7.6 Hi PH 7.4 Amonia .25 Nitrite 0 Nitrate 80 or 160 depends how you look at it. My fry are dying slowly but some are surviving. this is primarilly affecting my Gupies.

Last edited:
Why can't you use tap water with a dechlorinator? Is there nitrates or ammonia in your tap water? The nitrates are what appears to be wrong. It should be at 20 ppm or less. What is stocked in the aquarium? You need bigger water changes to get the nitrates down. 50% a few days in a row. If its 160 and you do 50% it will 80, do another and it will be 40, another and it will be 20. What are your ammonia and nitrite readings? You shouldn't need to add a bunch of chemicals to make the water usable. Just dechlorinator if required.

Just do 50% every day and add water treatment. This should control your water. Also it sounds like your nitrogen cycle never started.

Back
Top Bottom