Nudibranches.... Opinions? Advice?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

fishyfoofoo

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have been considering a nudibranch or two for my tank. any drawbacks or difficulties with them? are there other hearty nudibranches besides the lettuce?

I think most of them are difficult to keep even the lettuce. I've never put one in my tank but I've always wanted to. I don't know a lot about them but I do know that there are several types out there that should not be removed from the ocean. Sorry I couldn't help more....

I'm sure there is pleanty of knowledge here on this site to help you out!

Nudibranchs all have specific dietary needs and should be used for such. They will not last in an aquarium if those needs cannot be met. Nudibranchs are slow moving and subject to being picked upon by aggressive inhabitants. Death by mechanical means (powerheads, overflows, etc) are common.

I had some when I first got into the hobby and IMO not worth the time or money. Like mentioned already they require special food and when that gone there dead..
IMO another critter that should be left in the ocean.

i got one for the heck of it when i ordered my build-your-own cleanup crew package but it didnt arrive alive so I got a refund. oh well =/

The purple nudibranches which are increasingly popular in the stores around here only feed on specific sponges... and nobody's sure what that sponge is. They are beautiful and destined to failure.

I believe that each of them require such a specific diet that to keep any of them would be bordering on impossible. Definitely should be left in the ocean.

Back
Top Bottom