Number of Powerheads

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Trout11B

Aquarium Advice Freak
I am getting a 55 gallon tank in the next few weeks and was looking at some filters and powerheads to supplement(replace) the existing gear thats coming with it. I'm getting it used and some of the options that the people have on there just aren't what I'm looking for.

Anyway, for a 55 gallon general freshwater tank would you recommend 1 or 2 powerheads for water circulation. They are Hydor Koralia Evo 750s. I'm trying to keep cost down, but am willing to get 2 of these if its a better option.

Fresh or salt water? Planted or not? I'm big on flow. Most people say 5-10x turn over for fw. I say 10-20x is best. Go for 1 hydor if you're tight on cash. The filter can be another source of water movement.

Freshwater. Not currently planted but in the future yes

Have you bought your filters yet. Instead of a power head you could use like a hagen fluval 405 to circulate water and get it filtered at the same time. Just a thought..

I already picked up a aqua clear 110 to replace at least one of the whisper 60's that came with the tank. And I took a quick peek at the 405 and it's a little out of my price range at the moment.

I already picked up a aqua clear 110 to replace at least one of the whisper 60's that came with the tank. And I took a quick peek at the 405 and it's a little out of my price range at the moment.

I hear ya, They are on sale right now for $174.00, @ Petsmart FYI

Thanks for the tip, but as of now I'll think I'll stay away from canister filters. Maybe when I get a more permanent setup.

Back
Top Bottom