Nutrient deficiencies?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

newfound77951

Aquarium Advice Addict
OK, so with the CO2 on the 36 most of the plants have perked up noticeably. This includes the sword, Rotala rotundifolia, Limnophila aromatica, asian ambulia (which was growing fine before the CO2 also), pearlweed (won't stay down on the substrate but that's a minor issue), Ludwigia brevipes and Potamogeton gayi. However, the sunset hygro and java/flame/whatever kind of moss Al sent me are not doing well at all! The moss will grow a little but if the Ambulia shades it for even a day or two it just turns black. The new leaves on the hygro are small and twisted. I've been adding traces, K, P, some N, and even Ca and Mg. Any idea why I can't get the two easiest plants in the tank to grow well?

I can post some pics tomorrow if that helps....

Have you tested your Nitrate and Phosphate levels? How much are you dosing of each of the ferts and how often?

Sorry, had a blonde moment and posted the question with full knowledge that you'd all want that info :rolleyes:. Will test and post those numbers (and some pics) tomorrow, but otherwise tank stats are:

36g corner
Schultz aquatic soil substrate
pressurized CO2 @ 1 bubble/second
moderately stocked (angel, 14 tetras, 3 cories, SAE)
lighting: 1-65 watt PC (6500K) and 2-24 watt T5HO (1-10000K and 1 actinic), so ~3 wpg, 9 hour photoperiod

Good info. Let us know how much you're dosing and how often. Also, have you tested your CO2 level? 1bps doesn't tell us much, we'll want to know how much is in the tank.

Ok so I tested last night (Parents came down Fri night so I didn't have time). Got some really weird results...

pH: about 5.5
gH: 13
kH: <1
NO3: ~25 ppm
PO4: 0.5 ppm

So apparently I have oodles of Ca and Mg and no buffering capacity at all. And high NO3 (no wonder my plants won't turn red!) despite not adding any, and not having a ton of bioload. Hmm....makes me wonder if the darned Schultz aquatic soil is still leaching something. It's weird because when I clean the filter, there is almost nothing in it, and the biomedia looks as white and clean as the day I put it in, while the biomedia on the 55 is dark brown.

I added some bicarbonate last night and will continue to add some every other day or so to try and get that kH up a little.

So now what? Since I trimmed back the Ambulia the other day the moss is starting to grow again, but that will only last a couple of days until the weeds take over.....

Back
Top Bottom