Ocean water

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Seaofclouds

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hey ppl, about to start a 100g saltwater tank, and since i only live 2 minutes away from access to clean ocean water, was wondering if i could just use this water for my aquarium.... And by doing this, could I just put fish in it straight away? I don't see why not, considering this is the water they are actually swimming in already... Hope to get some replies, thanks guys

I literally ONLY use ocean water. I have a house on the water and felt that buying salt would be a waste of money. I've filled up 3 different tanks, the latest being my new 180, using pure salt water.
I've also never needed to cycle a tank.
Just make sure it's high tide.

I personally would not use ocean water unless you can get it further out. Too much of a chance of pollutants. I am kind of interested in why using Ocean water makes it so you dont have to cycle your tank.

yes I'm interested also in why using ocean water, that u don't need to cycle your tank.... Can anyone shed some light on this

melosu58 said:
I personally would not use ocean water unless you can get it further out. Too much of a chance of pollutants. I am kind of interested in why using Ocean water makes it so you dont have to cycle your tank.

I can't explain it, but it's just what I've observed. I setup a biocube with only sand and ocean water, and threw in some fish from the ocean and never received any ammonia or nitrites. Tested using the API test kit for 2 weeks before I got any live rock at all.

I also use ocean water which I get either fishing or at a convenient breakwater. No pollution issues fortunately (I live on an island in BC). I did have to cycle tho but it was much much quicker than others say it should be and was done in less than 2 weeks with live rock and ammonia never went over about .3 I think it was. Just remember that any runoff from land or creeks ma contain evil fertilizers etc.

sweet. So i guess mother nature is the way to go hey? :) I've noticed that %90 of people say negative things about using Ocean water, like u don't know what pollutants are in there, blah blah, but that %90 of people are the ones that have NEVER used Ocean water... The people that do, always say mainly positive things about it.. So i think as a newbie, it's best for me to believe the %10 of people who actually have experiance with Ocean water, rather then the %90 that don't. :)

There should be no problem with using ocean water as long as, and this was stated, you gather it during high tide and are not collecting it from a pollutant filled bay.

I though it was being implied that ocean water has the nitrifying bacteria in it when it does not. The nitrifying bacteria resides on surfaces like LR, glass panels and decorations. It obviously was not being implied.

Back
Top Bottom