Oceanic Salt Calcium Levels

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

JohnNLuc

Aquarium Advice Freak
Could anyone tell me or give me a rough idea of what the calcium levels are out of the bag with oceanic sea salt? Thanks

I can in 2 weeks when I officially change over to oceanic. But i'm sure someone will be able to help you sooner.

generally around 500ppm Calcium when mixed at 1.025 SG. It can vary little but I have yet to test it below 450ppm with the Salifert kit.

HTH,
R-

Thanks a lot so I guess until I have enough corals that will deplete that I would not have to add any. Now i will just focus on alk and getting them set equal

I'd still watch calcium. Corals and coralline will both eat thru calcium. Oceanic should have decent Alk levels as well. You may still have to add Ca or Alk, but it'd be a lot less Ca dosage with Oceanic as compared to other salts. I can speak from experience that Instant Ocean is not a high Ca salt. I struggle to get my Ca levels UP to 400ppm after a water change.

Does Oceanic have the highest calcium level when mixed? I need to get a bucket of salt mix soon, trying to decide which brand to go with.

I slowly made the move from IO to Oceanic and have been very happy with it. I had read about others having ph flucuations and such but I have seen none of that. The thing that grabbed my attention with oceanic was in fact the high CA content it had and I was just wondering how much it actually had since I never thought to check right after making new water but now I know. In my opinion I think oceanic makes a great salt it mixes faster than IO and my corals look healthier with it. HTH

Since this thread has been started, I liked the way Oceanic salt sounded by consumers here, so I ordered a 90G mix for myself today. I have been using IO as well for many years. It is time to try something different that will help maintain CA levels, and pH fluctuations. I'll let you know next week how it goes since I ordered it online.

Mike

I bought a 200 gallon bucket for 39.00 and was very pleased with there salt. Tanker you will be happy just remember when switching do small water changes over a long period of time so your fish and especially your aenonome doesnt sense the difference.

Also, don't mix the salts when you start the transition. I did this thinking it'd make the transition gentler, but was told not to by some of the more experienced SW people/advisors here. Salts aren't meant to be mixed and can have weird interactions. JohnNLuc's advice is proper, smaller changes when you change salt brands.

Back
Top Bottom