Octopus tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Reeffanman

Aquarium Advice Freak
I am looking to get a 65 and start an octopus fowlr tank. Does anyone have any tips or pointers to help me out?

Make it unescapable! Haha. That seems to be the main problem people face.

Yeah, the only things that I know about octopus is that they are strong, fairly smart, and escape artists. They will spend all day, every day, trying to get out of the tank-and they usually succeed at some point.

And now for my special blend of fairly objective advice and pure opinion!
It will escape. They are not "fairly smart", they are extremely intelligent. All rocks will need to be secured in place and to each other. The lid cannot have any opening large enough for the beak to fit through. If the beak fits, the entire animal fits. No other animals can be kept with it or they will be food.
And now for my opinion. Octopi are not pets. They should not be pets. They are intelligent to the point at which sentience is debated. They may be self aware and capable of complex emotions such as boredom, depresson, anger, happiness, etc. None of this is proven, but there is evidence. No animal that may be self aware should be kept in a cage.
Just my two cents.

+2 they are extremely intelligent. If you put a live crab on a jar with a 'super glued' lid, so tight nothing can get it open --- octopus can and will get it open, they are determined. They can go through mazes and find their way out.
The man eaters they are perceived to be is false. They are curious and want the closeness and companionship .
Never keep these beautiful creatures as pets. They belong in the wild. IMO

Yep they belong in the ocean. But I would rather see someone who wants to provide a safe and good environment buy one. Than someone else that's buying on impulses. Just take your time and do your research ask question at your marine lfs. If you get one I think you will provide the best tank possible good luck.

If it belongs in the ocean then so does all of our fish. It is very hypocritical to say otherwise.

Know what your getting into and do tons of research.

I'm normally on the freshwater side of the forum, but noticed this thread.

I must say that the idea that no sentient creature should be kept in a cage is quite untrue when it comes to conservation of many species. Most great apes are in zoos, as well as elephants and many other animals capable of recognizing themselves in mirrors, as well as complex emotions. Without the efforts of these zoos, many of these species would be much more in danger in the wild than they currently are, and many are already at great risk in the wild.

However, in this case, the animal is not going to be contributing back to its species through captive breeding, so it's more for entertainment. Its not really my place to say whats right and what's wrong and only that power is in the hands of the owner. If they really wanna try it, go ahead. But please think carefully and maybe consider something that won't almost surely end up out of the tank ;)

Octopi are truly wondrous creatures and their intelligence is something to behold. They rival a small child easily in intelligence, creativity, awareness, etc. and are easily one of, if not the smartest invertebrates on the planet

These guys have a horribly short life span. All I can say is if you go with it they need a matured and well cycled tank.

If you do, and only if you can do it right, you need deep pockets and lots if time to prepare. Leaving the ethics to everyone else, the other main concern besides securing it, it filtration. They eat a lot, are incredibly messy eaters and create a huge amount of waste.

You will need a monstrous skimmer, probable carbon dosing, and ideally a remote reservoir to house live rock (since a huge amount can go into the tank). You will need a sump for equipment and a closed loop for flow.

If you chose to do this, your reality is a huge investment (thousands) and a vast amount of maintenance to house a single creature which likely won't live to see a year.

MikeYQM said:
If you do, and only if you can do it right, you need deep pockets and lots if time to prepare. Leaving the ethics to everyone else, the other main concern besides securing it, it filtration. They eat a lot, are incredibly messy eaters and create a huge amount of waste.

You will need a monstrous skimmer, probable carbon dosing, and ideally a remote reservoir to house live rock (since a huge amount can go into the tank). You will need a sump for equipment and a closed loop for flow.

If you chose to do this, your reality is a huge investment (thousands) and a vast amount of maintenance to house a single creature which likely won't live to see a year.

This is very true!
I absolutely love octopus tanks and I think they are incredible creatures, and one day strive to own one, but the bad part is they really do have very short life spans. If you do get one, make sure it's from a reputable dealer and get an exact age on it because if you get one that's already 6-7 months old, you might only own it for 4 or so months before it dies. 1 year old is about average for any captive houses octopus, maybe 2 years if you're real lucky.

But good luck, and definately keep us posted! I'll be following along!

Well no worries I will do my reasearch. That's why I am on here. I haven't even gotten a tank yet.and no I'm defiantly not going to get a blue ringed one. I'm not stupid. That's the last thing I need is my nephew to find out that it has escaped.
I plan on getting a drilled 65 with a plexi top. And a 20 gal sump for extra rock and equipment.

Well no worries I will do my reasearch. That's why I am on here. I haven't even gotten a tank yet.and no I'm defiantly not going to get a blue ringed one. I'm not stupid. That's the last thing I need is my nephew to find out that it has escaped.
I plan on getting a drilled 65 with a plexi top. And a 20 gal sump for extra rock and equipment.

just wondering have you ran a marine tank before? if not i would really shy away from an octopus because they are going to be a headache. If you have then thats a great fun challenge. I myself am challenging myself with a Cat shark. (currently in egg)

Yes I have had a reef tank for 3 years now. Yes I've had some problems along the way, but who hasent? And good luck with your shark I wanna see pictures when it hatches

Back
Top Bottom