Octopuss?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Matt bussell

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Can I put octopuses in my tank with other fish? I have a 125 oceanic and the octopus I'm looking at is only about four inches in length. Any advice.

I really wouldn't recommend getting an octopus at all. They are crazy at escaping youwould need a locked tank which isn't realistic for other fish. He would probably hiide all the time you wouldn't hardly ever see him an they only live a year or two. I've consideredthis a lot in the past I've always wanted one but I think it would not be beneficial to hold an octopus in captivity beside they are so smart they often get depressed in captivity

I as well have always wanted one but I had no idea they were that smart, it really seems pointless to keep them in captivity. Thanks for te info.

The octopus will eat everything else in the tank, and then you'll probably find him dried up on the floor.

Not to mention that they are extremely strong and if your rocks aren't secured they will move them around. Possibly cracking your tank.

This reminds me, the Baltimore aquarium had(s) a large octopus that would CONSTANTLY escape Into the employees only section. They probably spent thousands just to hold it down. He played with rubix cube thing though for underwater. It was cool :)

That video is. Ray, I had no idea they were complete badasses.

Species only tank. No CUC either, nada. Very cool but rather short life spans and have very specific needs. Doable though if you really research it and come up with a good plan. If you decide to go through with it make sure you stay away from venomous species (blue-ring).

The only thing that discourages me more than anything else is they only live 6 months to a year. So no matter what you do to keep it alive, it will only be for 6 months.

That video is amazing isnt wonderful to see how powerful the things we keep as pets can be
Of course no one would keep either of those that size in a tank at home lol

I remember a friends Dad had to care for one and he had to constantly give it new toys to play with in the tank multiple times a day since they're super curious and like to play with new things.

They're also ridiculously good at finding ways to escape. Even with a special octopus lid it still escaped twice.

Back
Top Bottom