Odd Fishless cycling, week 3, day 15, everything is 0?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

buminbeer2

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Ok, Now two days ago I did add about 15 live plants to the system. Hornwort, Banana's, Amazon Sword plants, baby dwarf plants, Fern moss, goes on and on. Also, three snails (apple I think?).

Was reading from my logs then:
Ammonia - 1.0 ppm
Nitrite - 2.0 ppm
Nitrate - 80ppm

Did a 25% water change.
Today is 0ppm on everything. I also added two days ago Start Smart, which is supposed to instantly cycle the aquarium. I know I have been reading from everyone, stay fishless and dose with pure ammonia (Ace hardware) and was doing that, just was trying to speed things up. I know the pet store guys normally just want to sell fish, but I know this guy who breeds for a living and said that's all he has ever done, and in two days, your ready.
Yesterday I dosed ammonia to where it read 2 ppm (did not think about the poor snails, sorry).

Today, all 0's. I am using an API test kit, so I know it is accurate and did the tests twice to make sure as been writing everything down. I have the temp at 76 even.

Is it even possible to cycle as fast as I did considering it takes 4-5 weeks for some people? I am also using as a substrate Eco-complete, not sure if that helps. PH is about 7.2.
Now other then the water slightly cloudy and need to do another partial change, am I ready for fish this soon?
Thanks again, Scott.

It's quite possible that your plants consumed the ammonia, since they will use ammonia as a source of nitrogen. I'm not much on those 'instant cycle' products, but it sounds like the plants and potentially a small colony of bacteria are handling the ammonia. As a test, I'd remove the snails, dose to 4ppm ammonia, and see if it eats it up overnight. If so, you're good to add fish. If not, keep adding ammonia up to 4ppm daily until it consumes it overnight, then you're good to go...

Cool, will try to dose up to 4ppm and see what happens. I just checked again and still 0ppm on everything, I hope somehow I did not stall the cycle, will report back as I don't think this should have happened this quick. Bad issue, is I don't have another tank and was thinking they could survive some ammonia, doubt they can live at 4ppm, stupid on my part.
Maybe I'll try as have spare heaters and two HOB filters, maybe put them in a 5 gallon spare bucket before I dose the tank up with a heater and an airstone.
Also, Mfd, I'm in lawrenceburg about 25 minutes from you in Lex. Do you belong to a fish club there? Might be interested if so, thanks!

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom