*OFFICIAL* 16G Bowfront

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Mrc8858 said:
I don't think you need to worry about new sand since its still pretty new anyways so there can't be much waste in it.

Yeah that's what I was thinking but if I do this I wanna do it the right way.. the sands only like 3 weeks old and I've only had 3 fish in it for the past 3 days

Yep, just use buckets. But the first thing I'd put into your 29 (since you have to do it like that) is the new sand and then the sand from your 16. It's true that sand collects lots of detritus, but being that it's only a few weeks old it's better than fine. It's loaded with live bacteria. Adding the sand first will keep the cloudiness down, so long as you pour the water in slowly over a plate.

You'll have to mix saltwater ahead of time in containers, and you want it to be mixed a day ahead if possible. Don't try mixing it in the new tank. Once the tank is half filled you can add the heater and live rock, then the rest of the water, your filter(s) and lastly re-acclimate your fish slowly using the drip method just to be safe. Hope this helps.

CorallineAlgae said:
Yep, just use buckets. But the first thing I'd put into your 29 (since you have to do it like that) is the new sand and then the sand from your 16. It's true that sand collects lots of detritus, but being that it's only a few weeks old it's better than fine. It's loaded with live bacteria. Adding the sand first will keep the cloudiness down, so long as you pour the water in slowly over a plate.

You'll have to mix saltwater ahead of time in containers, and you want it to be mixed a day ahead if possible. Don't try mixing it in the new tank. Once the tank is half filled you can add the heater and live rock, then the rest of the water, your filter(s) and lastly re-acclimate your fish slowly using the drip method just to be safe. Hope this helps.

Hope this helps? That's great advice! :) lol thank you.. sounds like this might be an all day project.. hmm I'm off on Thursday :)

Glad to see others jumping in about the sand. I just knew it could but keep forgetting its a new tank.

I would fill it a third of the way with the new water then add the rock and then the sand then finish filling. You want your structure to be on a solid base to keep from shifting if something decides to burrow under it.

Mrc8858 said:
I would fill it a third of the way with the new water then add the rock and then the sand then finish filling. You want your structure to be on a solid base to keep from shifting if something decides to burrow under it.

Good idea, I have my LR right now sitting on top of my sand, never thought of burrowers.

Mrc8858 said:

Good call. His new tank is large enough to house a sand sifter. Thank you for catching that Mrc8858. It really is worth living with a couple of days of cloudiness for the extra stability.

CorallineAlgae said:
Good call. His new tank is large enough to house a sand sifter. Thank you for catching that Mrc8858. It really is worth living with a couple of days of cloudiness for the extra stability.

Sand sifter? What kind? Lol

DanS180 said:
Sand sifter? What kind? Lol

Many different choices. Goby/pistol shrimp pair is the most popular. I have a goby and I also have a sand sifting starfish in my biocube 29. Both are cool. The star will just appear suddenly out of the sand

If your moving up to a 29 I highly reccomend getting a goby shrimp pair. My favorite is the yasha haze/randals and the hi fin/tiger

Mrc8858 said:
If your moving up to a 29 I highly reccomend getting a goby shrimp pair. My favorite is the yasha haze/randals and the hi fin/tiger

Ok is a goby shrimp a particular kind of fish? Or were u saying a goby and a shrimp? I'm confused lol

haha ok gotcha... well i do like the starfish idea... but i also really like pistol shrimp, but then again i like a lot of the shrimps lol grrr so many ideass

I just realized one of my hermits is a Electric Blue Hermit Crab priced at $8.99 on LiveAquaria..... i paid like $2 for him haha

DanS180 said:
I just realized one of my hermits is a Electric Blue Hermit Crab priced at $8.99 on LiveAquaria..... i paid like $2 for him haha

Thats funny, same thing happened to me. I only bought 5 regular hermits and in the end i only have 1 blue legg and he was always the smartest.... Darwinism i guess. Lol

Thats funny, same thing happened to me. I only bought 5 regular hermits and in the end i only have 1 blue legg and he was always the smartest.... Darwinism i guess. Lol

I love the 2 hermits i have... theyre fun to watch, the other day my blue hermit was on top of my red hermit and they were like fighting but they werent it was weird lol

DanS180 said:
I love the 2 hermits i have... theyre fun to watch, the other day my blue hermit was on top of my red hermit and they were like fighting but they werent it was weird lol

Maybe they were mating. LOL!

Back
Top Bottom