*OFFICIAL* 16G Bowfront

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Good idea but would that be okay with a T5 light sitting directly on top of it?? Wouldn't it heat it up too much?

DanS180 said:
Good idea but would that be okay with a T5 light sitting directly on top of it?? Wouldn't it heat it up too much?

Nope you're good. Plus you will have better gas exchange without a glass top, as well as beneficial light spectrum getting through...

DanS180 said:
No can do lol my LFS doesn't price match unfortunately, they're overpriced on everything.. but for the size of the store, I can understand why lol

Bummer! My LFS is tiny, I don't even look at price tags lol I email him before and say hey I can get "blah blah" for $$.00 plus shipping can you come close? And he usually meets or beats the price. Even if it's a couple dollars more I still wouldn't mind but he's always cheaper.

Benamayer said:
Nope you're good. Plus you will have better gas exchange without a glass top, as well as beneficial light spectrum getting through...

Hmm now where would I get some thing like that? Lol

Benamayer said:
Bummer! My LFS is tiny, I don't even look at price tags lol I email him before and say hey I can get "blah blah" for $$.00 plus shipping can you come close? And he usually meets or beats the price. Even if it's a couple dollars more I still wouldn't mind but he's always cheaper.

That's awesome, I wish mine would do that :/

Well did you just flat out ask someone, or do they kinda know you over there? My LFS is awesome, always answering my emails and questions... It's all about developing relationships lol

Benamayer said:
Well did you just flat out ask someone, or do they kinda know you over there? My LFS is awesome, always answering my emails and questions... It's all about developing relationships lol

Oh no they know me... lol at least a majority of them do.. ohh good thinking.. they have egg crate for there frag tanks!! I'm goin after work and asking them :)

DanS180 said:
Oh no they know me... lol at least a majority of them do.. ohh good thinking.. they have egg crate for there frag tanks!! I'm goin after work and asking them :)

Home depot should have some.

Bearchumjs said:
It's about $13 for a 4ft piece. I don't know how to cut it though...

Well im a mechanic so I have tools to cut it.. it'll just have to be cleaned up real good afterwards.. I'll see if my LFS has any and if not I'll check out home depot tomorrow

DanS180 said:
Well im a mechanic so I have tools to cut it.. it'll just have to be cleaned up real good afterwards.. I'll see if my LFS has any and if not I'll check out home depot tomorrow

If you have a router and can make a simple templet to match the curve of the tank you could make an acrylic lid yourself. A bandsaw may even work, though I've only used a router for curves. The plastic hinge can be ordered online or sometimes found at a fish shop and the acrylic can be bought at some home centers.

CorallineAlgae said:
If you have a router and can make a simple templet to match the curve of the tank you could make an acrylic lid yourself. A bandsaw may even work, though I've only used a router for curves. The plastic hinge can be ordered online or sometimes found at a fish shop and the acrylic can be bought at some home centers.

I thought about doing acrylic and even plexi glass, but I'm gonna c what I can do with the egg crate idea...

Quick question, how hard would it be to transfer everything over to a 29G? I'm really considering this idea lol

DanS180 said:
I thought about doing acrylic and even plexi glass, but I'm gonna c what I can do with the egg crate idea...

Quick question, how hard would it be to transfer everything over to a 29G? I'm really considering this idea lol

It depends on how you do it. You could just transfer everything over to it and possibly have a 2nd cycle with 3 fish at risk... or you could set it up with fresh saltwater, another bag of sand, couple more pieces of live rock, your new filter and let it cycle on it's own and then transfer everything over. It's safer the second way but it takes more time. Either way you can definitely do it. You could even keep the 16 for future quarantine or fish treatment.

CorallineAlgae said:
It depends on how you do it. You could just transfer everything over to it and possibly have a 2nd cycle with 3 fish at risk... or you could set it up with fresh saltwater, another bag of sand, couple more pieces of live rock, your new filter and let it cycle on it's own and then transfer everything over. It's safer the second way but it takes more time. Either way you can definitely do it. You could even keep the 16 for future quarantine or fish treatment.

Okay now heres the kicker lol I wanna put the 29G where my 16 is right now...that's my only problem :/

I have read people moving the stuff to a bigger tank and not having another cycle. Don't move the sand. Get new sand. Like play sand. Then I would transfer 3/4 of the water over to your 29 an then use fresh saltwater for the rest. Move your entire filter over cause that is were the bb bacteria is and all your live rock.

Just watch the parameters closely for a week or so and make sure you have water on hand to do a change if need be.

22engine said:
I have read people moving the stuff to a bigger tank and not having another cycle. Don't move the sand. Get new sand. Like play sand. Then I would transfer 3/4 of the water over to your 29 an then use fresh saltwater for the rest. Move your entire filter over cause that is were the bb bacteria is and all your live rock.

But how do I get my 16G off my stand so I can put the 29G in place of that? Lol id have to take everything out of the 16G. Move the tank, then move the 29G onto the stand, then transfer.. I guess buckets would work?? And why not reuse the sand from the 16G?

DanS180 said:
But how do I get my 16G off my stand so I can put the 29G in place of that? Lol id have to take everything out of the 16G. Move the tank, then move the 29G onto the stand, then transfer.. I guess buckets would work?? And why not reuse the sand from the 16G?

Yes you could put the rock in buckets. Just make sure it isn't a long time in the buckets with no movement. You could empty half the water out and then have someone help you pick it up. Eight gallons of water isn't that heavy. 8.33 pounds a gallon. You don't want to reuse the sand because of the fact that it traps stuff in it and when you disturbs to much at once you will get a big spike in nitrates. I'm sure someone else will jump in here

22engine said:
Yes you could put the rock in buckets. Just make sure it isn't a long time in the buckets with no movement. You could empty half the water out and then have someone help you pick it up. Eight gallons of water isn't that heavy. 8.33 pounds a gallon. You don't want to reuse the sand because of the fact that it traps stuff in it and when you disturbs to much at once you will get a big spike in nitrates. I'm sure someone else will jump in here

Ohh okay gotcha.. well I don't know if I'm definitely doing it but really leaning towards the idea bc then id have a bigger tank and could do more.. I mean I know not much more but more than a 16G lol

I don't think you need to worry about new sand since its still pretty new anyways so there can't be much waste in it.

Back
Top Bottom