Oh getting started.. what am I getting into!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

PaulieFish

Aquarium Advice Freak
Well I had a freshwater tank for a long time about 40 gallons. Had that forever. Well couple years passed and I miss my fishy friends and I wanted to start the hobby again. My grandfather has a 30 gallon tank that is currently salt water and he just is too old to take care of it. Well not really to old, just doesn't have the money or patients anymore.

The only thing is he has 3 fish and the tank is terrible, I would have to start from square one but I would have all the equipment. The only thing I THINK I need to buy one protein skimmer.

I was reading up guides on salt water aquariums and reef aquariums and wanted to extend my hobby. The only thing is people say to start out at a fish only salt aquarium vs a reef because reef is harder and you can always add later.

My question is.. how much harder is a reef aquarium vs salt water, and how much harder is a reef aquarium vs freshwater.

Thanks guys, have a great day.

Paul

lets just start off by saying once you go salt you cant go back.(trust me i tried)

I had the same thoughts when starting my sw tank. A reef from what I've read just seems to be staying diligently on top of maintenance and water parameters and checking every addition 1000 times over before adding anything. I don't have one but that is what I take from what I've read. Plus, I've found out that a successful tank of any type is like making bbq, low and slow does way better than hard and fast.

lets just start off by saying once you go salt you cant go back.(trust me i tried)

So is that a good thing i assume? :p

kdogg85 said:
had the same thoughts when starting my sw tank. A reef from what I've read just seems to be staying diligently on top of maintenance and water parameters and checking every addition 1000 times over before adding anything. I don't have one but that is what I take from what I've read. Plus, I've found out that a successful tank of any type is like making bbq, low and slow does way better than hard and fast.

Thanks for the response, So you currently have a sw tank then?

I can help but there are several folks here with just as much if not more knowledge than me. We will help you through this.

My question is.. how much harder is a reef aquarium vs salt water, and how much harder is a reef aquarium vs freshwater.

Thanks guys, have a great day.

Paul

IMO a reef tank is not harder than a FO or even a nice high tech planted FW tank. Just different (and more expensive).

Don't go back. Just add a tank so that you can do both! ;)

I can help but there are several folks here with just as much if not more knowledge than me. We will help you through this.

Currently reading up on EVERYTHING in that Stock list and tips, be back after I read it, thanks for the amazing link! All the abbreviations are making my head spin, luckily for me you got another link there! lol

Oh wowzer, read that whole thing. Very complicated, a lot of tests that have to be run. Maybe it is a good idea to start with FO tank :/. Since I dont seem to have the money for a REEF or ROWLR tank. Ill have to look more into and see what I can find. Thanks a ton for the info. Ill be around!

Back
Top Bottom