Oh No! Ich outbreak

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Turtle71

Aquarium Advice Activist
And now I am here and need your help. All my platy and Cory have ich. I can only see a white stripe on one platy but the others starting to bounce on the rocks. **** It's the entire group that had to go through my horrible cycling.

I got the old platy out of the big tank three days ago and treat them with API super ick cure.
Tomorrow I am getting two more 5 gal tanks so I can treat the corys and the other platy fish in different tanks. I learned already that corys belong to scaleless fish and need different amount of treatment.
Now my questions:

- what about the angel fish? How to treat him? Same as platy?
I don't see him acting funny but I might treat him as well. Just in case.

- after I got all the fish out of the big tank how long will it take for the ick to die? (in the big tank) so the fish can move back in?

- The API bottle says that the treatment should be ok after four days. Or so I understand it. Can it be safely continued if I have the feeling it's not totally gone?

Any more advice and tips for me?

1) Treat the angel fish with the platy.

2) Crank up the temp on the big tank to 86F, this will help speed up the ich's life cycle. The tank should be clear in 5-7 days.

3) Continue treating for 3 days after fish are symptom free is the general rule of thumb.

I have all the fish in three separate tanks since last Friday for treatment. I treaded with API Super Ick Cure and finished yesterday the last dose. All fish seems to be fine. Tomorrow I can finally make the 25% wc. Should I continue treatment till they can move back into the big tank on Sunday?

And here comes my next question. I did remove last Friday everything except the plants out of the big tank and raised the temp to 86F. Today I did a huge wc and vacuumed the gravel. Great I thought. Everything will be fine for the fish to move back in next weekend.
This evening I've seen a Guppy baby swimming around in there approx. one month old.
I know that this ick parasite can only survive if it finds fish to dock on. What do I do now? Could it be that I didn't get rid of it because of the Guppy Baby?
oh men:eek:

If the fish have been ich-free for 3-4 days you shouldn't have to treat anymore.

With the main tank it's hard to say. Since the tank has been at 86f the ich shouldn't be reproducing unless its a heat tolerant strain. As long as the fry doesn't show any symptoms it shouldn't be an issue.

Back
Top Bottom