Oh no!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I use Tetra Bio Bags and have had no problem adding new carbon to old filter media in my canister. After treating my tank with meds, I just rinse out my old media, (in used tank water from the pwc), open them up and pour in the new carbon, then stick the media back in the filter. This way I can keep good bacteria circulating through the filter and tank.

Other ppl may have a different method, but this way works for me. :D

That's how I would do it if I ran carbon.

I used to use cartridges, a total pain when you need to remove carbon and expensive.

I just cut them open and take the carbon out when I had to. I have Penguins, so no bio-bags for mine.

Mudraker, I agree about the Mela and Pima, when it's bad, you need something stronger that will work faster. I like the Mela and Pima because it doesn't kill the BB. ;)

okay then i already do have a gravel vac so theres a plus! haha.. all of the fish seem 100 times better today except for one who is still hiding but i imagine he will come around if the others have... still going to get an air pump to use though...
i have look around at other meds but there are so many... is there a good general med that i should just keep on hand even for future events?..

And by the way i just want to thank everyone for the help and the info they have given me.. its really been helping me get through this sicky fishy stuff..LOL

I use Tetra Bio Bags and have had no problem adding new carbon to old filter media in my canister. After treating my tank with meds, I just rinse out my old media, (in used tank water from the pwc), open them up and pour in the new carbon, then stick the media back in the filter. This way I can keep good bacteria circulating through the filter and tank.

Other ppl may have a different method, but this way works for me. :D

So u never change the filter media? u just change the carbon ( when ur not treating) ... how often do u change carbon?:shock:

Good deal! :D I'm sure your other fish will be fine. I have a few that like to hide and you shouldn't really worry unless they refuse to eat or exhibit odd behavior.

As far as meds... I usually just keep an Ich med on-hand. I just started using the Melafix, but since it seems to be working well, I will try to keep it in my arsenal at all times as well. IMO that's all you really need.

Edit: I change my media... when it falls apart. ;)

Okay let me see if I am getting this right.... filter media is the part that holds the carbon...correct?... so if u wait till ur media falls apart...how often are you changing the carbon?

The media is the entire cartridge. The frame, carbon, material that holds carbon in, all those items are filter media.

so if u wait till ur media falls apart...how often are you changing the carbon?

So, when your tank is in good working order, and you use cartriges (which contain carbon) you don't have to change any of it until the filter falls apart.

Because you are already having many problems with your tank, I advised you not to change your cartridge (with or without carbon) until the tank is stable and the fish are healthy.

If you have stopped using melafix and are doing water changes instead, your old cartridge is plenty.

If you are still using melafix, the old cartridge will do until your fish are healthy, the tank stable and you are ready to remove melafix with carbon.

Either way, avoid throwing out what filter media you are using in the filter to avoid a mini cycle, as the fish are already unhealthy.

+1. If it IS falling apart, then you keep as much of it as you can when you put the new media in, and squeeze it right next to it. I usually leave mine in for about a week, then take the old stuff out. I have only changed the media in my big tank because of meds, and have never changed the other media out, and it's been one year and 5 months. ;)

I always keep Melafix, Pimafix, Ich-Attack and some aquarium salt.

Back
Top Bottom