Oh, so confused! Pigmy and Dwarf Corydoras; which is which?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Salukie

Aquarium Advice Freak
I have an old tropical aquarium fish book that lists Corydoras hastatus as the pygmy cory and it says not to confuse it with C. Pygmaeus. On the next page, we've got Corydoras pygmaeus labeled as the rare dwarf cory.

Now google, on the other hand, gives me a bunch of search results saying that C. Pygmaeus is the Pygmy and C. hastatus is the dwarf.

Now, the two cories look different; one's got a stripe down the middle and some little vertical stripes on the back. The other is lighter in colour and has a black spot on its tail. I've seen both pictures attached to either cories.

I'm so confused. Please, those of you who know your cories, help me!

Which one is the pygmy, which one is the dwarf? Which one is the more common one and which one is the rare one that's harder to care for?

Thanks everyone!

I've attached pictures of the entries in the book.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    217.1 KB · Views: 123
Darn! I can only do one pic at a time. I forgot. Here's the other one.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    203.2 KB · Views: 110
Which one is the pygmy, which one is the dwarf? Which one is the more common one and which one is the rare one that's harder to care for?

Pygmy and dwarf are interchangeable verbiage in aquarium literature. Don't get hung up on it; it'll drive you crazy. "Common" depends on where you live. In South Florida, I often see C. habrosus, but rarely see the other two. My guess is that they are easier to breed and/or collect, but I'm not sure. I've kept C. habrosus for many years; they are very easy to care for. A 10g will suit them just fine. To add to the confusion, there's a fourth dwarf: C. cochui.

David

Okay, so lets forget the common names for a bit.

Which Cory is this? C. Hastatus, or C. pygmaeus?

Is it easy to care for, for a beginner? Is it suitable for a 10 gallon?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    63.5 KB · Views: 78
Thanks for your replies, DavidAI and aquandrew.

I'm just still confused. (It doesn't take me much. Lol)

That is a C. pygmaeus. Their behavior and care requirements are just like any other cory cat, although they tend to swim throughout the tank a bit more. It's not unusual to find them resting on plants more than on the substrate itself. They will be fine in a 10-gallon.

David

Thanks, David and betaowner.

So I'm getting the impression that any old cory can be called a "pygmy" as long as its small.

Lol.

Thanks, David and betaowner.

So I'm getting the impression that any old cory can be called a "pygmy" as long as its small.

Lol.

I've seen them named......ready.....wait for it, wait for it...."kitty cats."

David

image-406592391.jpg

This is the type of corry they sell as Pygmy corrys where I live I believe it is the habrosus kind

Yeah they will do good in a ten gallon that what mine are in

Here in Canada, I find C. pygmaeus is by far the most commonly seen species, with C. habrosus almost never seen and C. hastatus very rarely, and usually called Pygmaeus if it does show up. All about the same size, similar care. I had not heard of that fourth one mentioned at all, interesting.

I had C. hastatus once, and would dearly love to have them again. Charming, lovely little fish. Not suited to tanks with large fish, who will eat them, but great with smaller fishes. They swim all over the place.

Thanks for all the replies, guys!

I can't seem to find any pygmy cories anywhere. My LFS does not know what they are. :(

It's time to go the Internet route! I'm sure you'll be able to find them online, and as far as I know, they ship alright. I have not heard otherwise.

David

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom