Oily Looking Film on Surface

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mohican

Aquarium Advice Addict
So I noticed this tonite while feeding fish. Looks like oil (sun tan lotion, lol), any thoughts what it could be? Use CSM+B ferts from AP every day and use sicce unit for co2.

Maybe you had oil or lotion on your hands which got onto the food. This is just a guess really. How big is your tank?

125. I haven't performed any water tests; fish and plants seem to be doing fine. In fact, 2 of my swords have daughter stems growing. Its not thick but just a light appearance.

That is usually a protein film caused by not enough surface movement. If you hvae a HOB filter hang it or lower your water level so it waterfalls into the tank breaking the surface as it hits. If you have a canister aim the outflow upwards towards the water surface. A small powerhead will do the same thing. Or some filters can have surface skimmers added to them. All methods work.

It's also common in new-ish tanks. It can be caused by bacterial issues early on in a tank's life, namely, not enough of the type of bacteria that would usually digest proteins in the water (heterotrophs). It fixed itself when I had it.

Here's a nifty trick. Put a paper towel into the tank (unscented of course) such that it is complete below water but not wadded up or anything of the sort. Hold two corners and slowly remove the towel. As it comes out of the water, the film will 'stick' to the paper towel, removing a lot of it. It's not a long term solution, but it fixes things while you figure out what's going on.

I had this last year and lowered the water level as Rivercats suggested. It worked.

I have canister filters with spray bars. If I point them higher to surface, won't that affect co2 levels? I'm confused about lowering water level and how that helps. Should I add another filter inbetween where the 2 exist?

Like Aqua said, the paper towel trick works. The industrial rolls work best, even butcher paper or the rolls for painting. I do this right after routine maintenance while there is zero surface agitation. Works like a charm. My oil slick usually comes from foods even my hands and arms.

Like Aqua said, the paper towel trick works. The industrial rolls work best, even butcher paper or the rolls for painting. I do this right after routine maintenance while there is zero surface agitation. Works like a charm. My oil slick usually comes from foods even my hands and arms.

I'll have to try this trick. My film isn't bad by all means, just not something to look at while I feed my fish. You know how picky us 'green thumbs' can be with our tanks. I'll also try to aim my spray bars up a little more. I do have surface agitation, but maybe not enough as stated by previous post.

It's unsightly and therefore unacceptable. It was a major pain between my ears when it happened to me.

I had the same thing going on this week. I took the cover off my aqiarium becuase i felt like it was tinting some of the light and the oily film appeared a day later. I beiliev it is just dust. As i was examining my aquarium last night we had a 4.0 earthquake!! The first in maine that big since 1904. Almost knocked the tank over. I freaked a bit!!

Back
Top Bottom