Ok Guys Im Dumb...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Aquarium Freak

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hey guys I have kept tanks for about 5 years now. The thing is I have just had the original tanks from 5 years ago and I just bought a new 33g but I have always cycled with fish as I had no clue about fishless cycling till I found this site :D I have 2 HOB filters running on there both with media from the other established tanks and when the tank cycles I will add the new rena as well. Now to the question should I add a raw shrimp to the tank? How does the whole shrimp thing work I leave it in and let it deterioate? Or am I better off to just let it cycle with the established media. I also added some plastic plants from the 90g that are full of algae as well as some rocks as I thought the algae would help the tank along and cycle faster. I think Im going to keep a pair of convicts in it for feeders...What should the levels be before it is safe to add the fish.
Thanks Guys!

The purpose of cycling a tank is to build up the bacteria necessary to keep up with the waste fish produce. If you have substrate or filter media from old filters that have bacteria built up on them, you can use that as a source of bacteria and not try to seed it from scratch.

When I moved my fish from a 10 gallon to a 55 gallon, I ran my old filter on the new tank for a week along with the new one and was able to add my fish right away.

True, you can use a lot of media from an established tank to help the cycle, but you still need an ammonia source to keep the bacteria thriving as long as there are no fish in the tank. I'm a shrimp fishless cycler, and, basically what you do is throw in a raw shrimp or two and let them rot. If you don't want to use shrimp, I think you could probably throw a pinch of flake food in there and let the established bacteria gnaw on that. If you already have a bunch of media from another tank, you will probably cycle and be able to add fish in record time. I've never used ammonia so can't speak to that.

This question I've been wondering will fish food actually work for an ammonium source?

I think if you already have seed material, flake food is OK to keep the bacteria going until you can add a bigger ammonia source. But nothing beats rotting shrimp or pure ammonia to really kick the bacteria in the butt. Otherwise, I think you'd hear more about "flake food cycling" LOL. Maybe someone else can chime in here.

Yes decaying flake food will work. It takes longer that way but I have cycled a take using freeze dried tubifex worm cubes. I had plenty of media however and was just getting ready for breeding attempt with a pair of angels.

I fishless cycled my cousins tank, first tiem I've ever attempterd one, I used some of my old filter media to seed the bacteria. I started off using a couple tablespoons of flakefood since its a 10 gallon. After about 2 weeks of no readings on my ammonia, I just dumped the whole canister in there ( the really small like 99 cent ones at walmart ) lol. well it worked! lol and rather quickly too lol everythingis going great now!

Back
Top Bottom