Ok, i just watched my cories spawn! Now, whats next?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
What would I do with it when it got here? Other than drop it in the tank or something. I've never had live food for my fish.

You need to make a culture medium in a Tupperware dish for them. Instructions will be sent with the culture. Usually you just use some oatmeal moistened with tank water and a a little yeast. You mix the culture in with that and keep it in a warm place, then the worms will climb the walls of the container and you can scrape them off to feed to the fish. Every once in a while you will need to make a new container with fresh oatmeal stuff, then transfer part of the old culture into it. They keep reproducing and as long as you care for the culture you will have worms to harvest. I had a culture a year or so ago, but my my boyfriend thought it was old food and tossed it out. So you may want to label the container you use, lol.

I'm homeschooling, so I might be able to pass this off as biology, LOL! But anyways, I pmed her, so hopefully I can get the worms soon.

I'm homeschooling, so I might be able to pass this off as biology, LOL! But anyways, I pmed her, so hopefully I can get the worms soon.

Nice! I payed for mine last night and he got it in the mail today and sent me the tracking number. It is estimated to get here by the 1st, so you shouldn't have to wait too long either.

How long would it take for me to be able to feed worms to the fish?

There should be plenty in the culture as it arrives, you just want to be sure to keep the culture going so you can keep having worms to feed.

So I can feed works into the tank as soon as I get the culture? Is so, great, and can I feed them to other fish as well, like angels, and tetras? Not a staple, but as a treat.

So I can feed works into the tank as soon as I get the culture? Is so, great, and can I feed them to other fish as well, like angels, and tetras? Not a staple, but as a treat.

As soon as you notice worms crawling on the sides of your container you can feed them to your fish. Feed the fry a small amount of worms at a time and watch the fry tank to be sure all are eaten before adding more. The worms will sink to the bottom and they will stay alive for up to a couple days in the tank. This makes them better than baby brine shrimp because those die pretty quick in freshwater. They are also smaller and easier for really tiny fry to eat. And yes, they make a nice treat for your other fish.

Back
Top Bottom