Ok need help here !!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Precious_Scarface

Aquarium Advice Activist
I got an uncycled tank here 29g with 2 goldies and 2 piranhas theyve been living in there for about 3weeks now and i got no other tank to put the fish in to cycle it how should i take this matter on? I justed learned about nitrites and nitrates but i got the ammonia and ph test

I read that thing already i just dont get how much and how many times i should change the water in my tank since nobody can take care of my fish i need someone to help me through it so i think ik gonna start updating everytime i do something while ppl could help me this is my firt tank

First, make sure you have a quality liquid test kit like an API Master kit and a good water conditioner like Seachem Prime.

Don't let the clock decide when to change the water...let your test kit dictate when it's necessary.

Do as many pwc's, and as large of pwc's as are necessary to keep the ammonia and nitrIte below .25 at all times. There is no such thing as too many water changes as long as you are matching the water temperature and using a good dechlorinator.

Read over the guide that was linked before a few more times. It really has all the information and explains it well IMO.

First, make sure you have a quality liquid test kit like an API Master kit and a good water conditioner like Seachem Prime.

Don't let the clock decide when to change the water...let your test kit dictate when it's necessary.

Do as many pwc's, and as large of pwc's as are necessary to keep the ammonia and nitrIte below .25 at all times. There is no such thing as too many water changes as long as you are matching the water temperature and using a good dechlorinator.

Read over the guide that was linked before a few more times. It really has all the information and explains it well IMO.

+1 with Eco23. Test parameters with the API test master kit should dictate PWC size and frequency.

Does those test work good ? (pictures) theres no chlorine in my water cause its spring water and i got no other stuff to put in there either cause of money issues

Attachments

• image-2217965323.jpg
    image-2217965323.jpg
    59.5 KB · Views: 49
  • image-1094826807.jpg
    image-1094826807.jpg
    55.7 KB · Views: 52
Precious_Scarface said:
Does those test work good ? (pictures) theres no chlorine in my water cause its spring water and i got no other stuff to put in there either cause of money issues

The ammonia test you have is great. Unfortunately you will also need the same brand of nitrIte and nitrAte test kit in order to keep a healthy aquarium, IMO. Knowing your full water parameters of ammonia, no2 and no3 will be vital especially now during the cycle...but also the entire time you have fish.

The pH kit you have I'm not familiar with, but you can ignore pH for now. Just focus on the toxins. Unless the pH is at extreme levels...it won't be of any concern.

I understand having money issues...but to maintain a healthy environment for the animals you're keeping, sometimes it is mandatory to dig need and purchase the things they need.

Amazon and other online sites have good prices. If you order online, I recommend doing 50% water changes every day until you can test the levels...and you should still use a water conditioner like Seachem Prime because it also temporarily detoxifies the ammonia and nitrIte buying your fish time between water changes.

How can i buy online when i dont have a credit card ? And how long do you think cycling takes? Do you think that changing the water and testing ammonia only would be ok? Cause i did put water conditionner in there

Attachments

• image-4088566458.jpg
    image-4088566458.jpg
    63.9 KB · Views: 58
Please don't take any offense to what I'm about to say, but it's important. If you don't have the money or the means to provide the animals in your care with the products and the environment they need...it may be time to consider another hobby instead of fish keeping. There are things they require, just like a dog requires food, shots, flea meds, etc...

We'll help you all we can, but ultimately the responsibility falls to you.

I'm not sure if your water conditioner detoxifies ammonia (which is what we're looking for). Read the bottle and see if it says it neutralizes ammonia and/or chloramines.

A cycle can take anywhere from weeks to months depending on numerous factors.

I know you said you read it, but glance over the article once more. It covers all the info.

The key is going to be water changes. There is no such thing as too many water changes. As I said, I would do 50% pwc's every day until you have the ability to get your full water parameters tested. Many pet stores will test the water for you...but it is vital to have a quality, liquid test kit so you can do it daily for yourself.

It only take away chlorine and hard minerals but like i said i can buy stuff i just cant go and buy expensive stuff and im too young to have a credit card but im gonna try to find water conditionner and nitrates and nitrites tester

Precious_Scarface said:
It only take away chlorine and hard minerals but like i said i can buy stuff i just cant go and buy expensive stuff and im too young to have a credit card but im gonna try to find water conditionner and nitrates and nitrites tester

Good deal. The products you want to purchase are Seachem Prime (water conditioner), and an API brand liquid test kit for nitrIte and nitrAte just like you already have for ammonia.

Finding only the no2 (nitrIte) and no3 (nitrAte) test kits individually can be difficult. What most of us use is the API Master test kit that detects ammonia, no2, no3, pH and high range pH. It all comes in one package. They run from $25-35...but are very accurate and last a LONG time.

Just do lots and lots of water changes in the mean time.

aquasafe doesn't detoxify ammonia. The problem with only testing ammonia is you have no idea what the nitrites are at.

Once tanks are well established you won't be testing all the time, but still, it's vital during the first couple of months of setting a tank up.

If you can't get a nitrite test then you just need to stay on a strict water change schedule, changing 40-50% every day to every other day, and get a bottle of Prime to treat the water, since you'll be changing it quite a bit.

Yeah i did 5 min ago and its dangerously high but it does that all the time it could be 0 then rise all the way to 8 in a day for no reason

Precious_Scarface said:
Ok and is spring water good for the fishes? Cause thats what i use for the water

Spring water from a bottle...or your home gets it's water supply from a spring?

If bottled..why are you using that instead of tap water? Also what brand and what is the pH of the spring water you are using?

Yeah i did 5 min ago and its dangerously high but it does that all the time it could be 0 then rise all the way to 8 in a day for no reason
There is definitely a reason.

If your ammonia is rising from 0 to 8 in a single day then you are either way overstocked or overfeeding. That huge number means that a huge amount of waste is being produced.

Back
Top Bottom