Okay Betta Set-Up?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Okay, so Prime, a gravel vac, a thermometer...anything else I should pick up tomorrow? Plant substrate?

If the heater ISN'T working, does anyone have a recommendation?

Mokapi said:
Okay, so Prime, a gravel vac, a thermometer...anything else I should pick up tomorrow? Plant substrate?

If the heater ISN'T working, does anyone have a recommendation?

If your just doing anubias, java fern and mosses they attach to wood or rocks. They don't need planting.

Cool! I'll just get the Anubias then. And maybe a java fern if we have any on sale.

For the past two or three hours Ruber's been sitting on the gravel behind the ornament...he's swam up to the top to get air a few times, but otherwise isn't doing much. Is he okay?

ETA: I think he's...sleeping? If I tap on the glass he swims over to see me. He's lounging, sort of...body flat but head up and if fish can yawn, he's totally yawning LOL. He opened up his mouth SUPER wide for a second. Those fins behind his gills stopped moving too. He's not hovering at all; he's legitimately resting on the gravel and leaning on the ornament.

Mokapi said:
Cool! I'll just get the Anubias then. And maybe a java fern if we have any on sale.

For the past two or three hours Ruber's been sitting on the gravel behind the ornament...he's swam up to the top to get air a few times, but otherwise isn't doing much. Is he okay?

I would do a PWC if you haven't done one recently. Sorry if I missed it do you have a test kit yet?

Oh no I don't have one yet. Was there a specific one? I added in some info about what he was doing to my previous post. My ghost shrimp started swimming around and startled him and he's swimming again but now I'm nervous that a piece of his tail is gone :( Could the shrimp be picking at him?

Mokapi said:
Oh no I don't have one yet. Was there a specific one? I added in some info about what he was doing to my previous post. My ghost shrimp started swimming around and startled him and he's swimming again but now I'm nervous that a piece of his tail is gone :( Could the shrimp be picking at him?

He could be resting. I would still do the PWC. When in doubt do a PWC. :) It is possible the ghost shrimp nipped him or he could have caught it on something. With clean water he will grow it back.

Most recommend the API freshwater master test kit. Value for money and fairly accurate.

I agree with all the above, bettas are very fragile and if you have fake plants (i think you said that u do) they can easily tear, it will grow back in time. You can never do too many PWC's. API master test kit its a must. Bettas do sleep at night so its possible that he was just sleeping.

Okay, tonight I was able to buy the siphon and the Prime BUT we're out of glass thermometers...and we don't carry that API kit. Is there a similar one? We carry one that's pH only and ammonia only :/

And I have a few more questions about the plants before I dive in- the Anubias and Java fern will grow in weak light, right? Will anything else? I want to get rid of these fake plants ASAP but don't want to throw in something that will die. There is a lamp right next to the fish tank that's on for a fair few of hours daily, and especially at night, or there's the weak LEDs.

I did a PWC of probably 45% (I went a little overboard), and then added back in the warm water with the Prime and Ruber responded immediately. Not too much stuff came up in the siphon, but there are particles floating around and it looks GROSS. I should do one of these daily, then?

And do I bury the roots? Someone said earlier no extra substrate is needed. Do I buy plant food?

Mokapi said:
Okay, tonight I was able to buy the siphon and the Prime BUT we're out of glass thermometers...and we don't carry that API kit. Is there a similar one? We carry one that's pH only and ammonia only :/

And I have a few more questions about the plants before I dive in- the Anubias and Java fern will grow in weak light, right? Will anything else? I want to get rid of these fake plants ASAP but don't want to throw in something that will die. There is a lamp right next to the fish tank that's on for a fair few of hours daily, and especially at night, or there's the weak LEDs.

I did a PWC of probably 45% (I went a little overboard), and then added back in the warm water with the Prime and Ruber responded immediately. Not too much stuff came up in the siphon, but there are particles floating around and it looks GROSS. I should do one of these daily, then?

Yea those plants will grow fine. You can try some sort of moss and some hornwort. They will both grow in very low lighting.

Try order an API test kit online. That is where I had to get mine from. You can order a glass thermometer too. I got 5 for $5 on eBay.

Definitely do a PWC daily, especially if you don't know your parameters (ammonia, nitrite, nitrate). No such thing as too many PWC IMO.

Mokapi said:
And do I bury the roots? Someone said earlier no extra substrate is needed. Do I buy plant food?

Anubias attach to wood, java fern attaches to wood, rocks, etc, mosses grow on just about anything and hornwort is a floating plant that can be anchored in the substrate (but won't grow roots). The nutrients in the water when you do PWC will be enough to sustain them but you can add extra fertilizer like sachem flourish if you like.

You can put the java fern and the anubia in the substrate but you have to keep the rhizome above the substrate or it will rot.

What about anachris (sp?)? We have bunches of it in a snail tank and it kind of just sits there, but it's pretty :)

Okay :D

Will he appreciate a heavily planted tank, or would he want more room to swim around?

Mokapi said:
Okay :D

Will he appreciate a heavily planted tank, or would he want more room to swim around?

Probably half/half. He will need space to swim but also enjoy having somewhere to hide/rest.

If your interested I've got some pics of my planted Betta tanks in my profile.

Back
Top Bottom