Old-school salt water set up.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Novicarpentry

Aquarium Advice Regular
I have been out of saltwater hobby for 15 years now So many things have changed But I went with what I knew So I have an over the back filter. Under the gravel filter With two powerheads My tank has been running for five weeks now Things of been very very smooth My tank is 80 gallon And I'm going to be fish only with Live rock Community tank I currently have hermit crabs couple snails Of course couple damsels a clown And a peppermint shrimp. I am already to start stocking my tank next two weeks I really am enjoying hermit crabs watching and change shells My substrate is all seashells and crushed coral It looks very natural I purchased my lights from Home Depot 4 foot and my 3foot is blue T5 So much cheaper My tank is a wooden hood on it I screwed To the bottom Of the hood I'm planning pn getting a protein skimmer ... I really enjoyed reading everybody's advice on AA Everybody is very cool

They are so many fish stores in my area I live in Northville Michigan I find myself stopping at the store's everyday in my home from work I have become an aquarium junkie know My wife just laugh and go's along with me We called them our kids

They are so many fish stores in my area I live in Northville Michigan I find myself stopping at the store's everyday in my home from work I have become an aquarium junkie know My wife just laugh and go's along with me We called them our kids

I live in Lansing. Have you ever been to Preuss Pets?

I would suggest getting rid of the crushed coral and undergravel filter. Using a much finer sand will trap much less detritus and be virtually maintenance free. Unless of course you don't mind doing a lot of vacuuming. Nitrates will always be an issue in this tank IMO. Get a bunch more rock and your skimmer and you will be better off.

LFS

I'm a service tech in the San Francisco Bay area and an aquarium junkie too. On my travels I seek any stores near my route. Here's a site I use, Aquarium Store Finder - Map
even while on vacation I'll search for stores. Good hunting!

When i read Old-School I thought under gravel filter. Pink plastic hair curlers and taking the rock out once a month to bleach it in the sun +1 Mr_X lose the UG. and go with fine sand

Like the old Virginia slims ad used to say "You've come a long way baby"

Well I had to start somewhere And I'm just taking baby steps .... I went to the fish store last night and bought a mono I have a not herd a lot of feed back about this kind of fish

I have learned so much On aquarium advice App The people on this are amazing For newbies like myself this information is Priceless Thank you so much everyone

Take it from an old time saltwater hobbyist (have had marines since 1973. First tank had a slate bottom and metal frame around it. Does that age me? lol) the wet/dry filtering system is the greatest invention for the saltwater hobbyist since sliced bread. ;) The idea behind the undergravel was great at it's time but the drawbacks are too many. You need to be constantly cleaning underneath the plates. Too much work in my opinion. As mentioned before, lose the UG and definitely get the protein skimmer ASAP. With live rock, there is a higher risk of organism death on the rock during transportation and a skimmer will help reduce the toxicity of this. Think of this "curing" time as a "recycling" time. Keep an eye on your ammonia levels after introducing new rock. ;)
Welcome back to the SW hobby :D

(y) I've never heard of them This is what i found Tropical Fish for Brackish Aquariums: Mono Sebae
And we all have to start some where So go with what ya know. You should have seen me when i got back into salt I walked into the LFS scratched me head and said what is all this stuff? :hide:
I believe you have a Monodactylus Argenteus and not a Mono Sebae. They are a brackish water fish that spend time in both the ocean and the rivers. Generally a bit hardier than Mono Sebaes (y)

I have been feeding my purple tip Anemone Some frozen brine shrimp And I got some pallets today for my hermit crabs My anemones just loves the pellets And I picked up a Arrowhead crab today way cool

Back
Top Bottom