Old world or new world

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bettaowner

Aquarium Advice Addict
Just a question I've been thinking of. Do you prefer old world or new world cichlids and why?. I'm on the fence. New world cichlids are beautiful but old world cichlids are amazing in terms of evolution.

Just a question I've been thinking of. Do you prefer old world or new world cichlids and why?. I'm on the fence. New world cichlids are beautiful but old world cichlids are amazing in terms of evolution.

oscar will chime in soon to bash me and them lol but i'm totally old world. I love the colors of them and how they act, and the aggression of mine makes things interesting! I also love how they will change colors! Plus they are pretty easy to breed so thats a plus too!

oscar will chime in soon to bash me and them lol but i'm totally old world. I love the colors of them and how they act, and the aggression of mine makes things interesting! I also love how they will change colors! Plus they are pretty easy to breed so thats a plus too!

Yes i will :) the only oldies i like are tilapia and shellies haha.

I say new worlds! Give me an african that can compete with a female festae in breeding uniform !

I'd like to have a large cichlid tank someday so I want advice as to what side I should take.

By far the new world cichlids. They are much more personable and personally I like the habitat they come from more with the dark water and vegetation. Instead of the rocks and that's it of the old worlds. Plus I like how almost all new world cichlids are larger species instead of the basic small African cichlids and yes what gallon tank you should go for at least a 125 it would be awesome for some large cichlids!

Wow now that would be something else you could have a interesting stock with many large fish in a tank like that. I'm already jealous lol.

I like the red head tapajos and veja synspilum but I also like the colors of the African mbuna.

I like the red head tapajos and veja synspilum but I also like the colors of the African mbuna.

African mbuna are pretty cool, but if you want to go african with a big tank like that, i would say get haps. They can get a really good size, have amazing color, and are really cool.
African mbuna would definitely work too, but IMO haps are cooler, have better color, and get bigger. Mbuna won't get huge.

I have a few new world cichlids right now and they are pretty nice. I'd be afraid to add the red terror.

I'd like to have a lot of fish so that's why I chose mbuna as an example

Back
Top Bottom