Omg my angel is laying eggs on my filter!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Thats up to you. Some people have luck moving the parents, and some don't. A lot of this process is trial and error.
The eggs will not likely make it in the community with the plecos. They will just eat the eggs at night once the parents go to sleep. I agree that moving the eggs over to their own tank is better than putting up a divider.

Also, I should add that even if the eggs managed to stick around in the community, the wigglers/free swimmers would have to be removed because everything in that community tank would eat them. IME, it just stresses the parents and typically ends in no survivors anyway.

yes, but in the end, it would be ideal for the parents to raise their own fry. as long as the OP only leaves a very few for the parents to try and raise, it won't stress the pair as much because there aren't as many "kids" to look after. now, if they are good parents, they won't allow the other fish anywhere near those eggs if they can help it, and the eggs are positioned in such a high flow spot, i doubt the plecos will have much interest in the eggs even if the parents aren't guarding the clutch. and hey, they probably will get eaten the first few times, but the pair will never learn to be good parents if they aren't given the chance to try. :)

No, I meant it stresses the parents because of the other fish in the tank. Angels aggression goes up so much during breeding that it can lead to problems all over the tank and the potential for serious issues goes up the longer the angels are parenting. I didn't mean because of just watching the babies. Thats a valid point though. It is easier on the parents to only have a few to raise. :)
Also, my algae eating fish eat the eggs EVERYWHERE in the tank, even when my angels lay them on the filter intake. I have heard other angel keepers say the exact same thing. Of course, experiences differ. :)

@ absoluteangel: ah, very good point. i still don't think it would be worth it to move the adults in with the fry to try and raise on the first try. i say leave a few in there with the parents to see how they handle a couple, and artificially raise the rest. then, as they get increasingly better at parenting, i can see a valid point in moving the adults over to the fry tank when the fry are being transfered. :) another option would be to move the angels to a tank by themselves and let them spawn and practice parenting there. :)

jetajockey said:
Its highly unlikely that any fry will survive a community setting. When they are eggs it's easy for the parents to protect them, when they are free swimming its next to impossible.

I agreed I'm just debating on but the parents with them or not.

j0el1212 said:
They are juvies but they never a problem so far.

Just fyi i think hes referring to the large amounts of crap plecos produce, especially when they get bigger, and the affect it will have on the water conditions, which i have heard and read need to be very good for healthy discus

Well I moved them all let's see what's in store in the am I'll keep u guy inform and plenty of pics wish me luck!!

I've never bothered to move the adult angels along with the eggs. I have tried it once with some rams and they acted like they didn't even recognize the eggs after i transferred them, but either way, they are easy enough to hatch artificially.

I don't move my adult angels either. I have heard some mixed reviews about the success of doing it, but I just don't bother.

need to get good water circulation with a powerhead , but not too close that it harms the eggs.
preferrably an air stone too, for best oxygenation, close to the eggs
need a thermometer and heater at a warm temp.
need good filtration
watch them hatch :)

whats set up in the tank right now, what are the eggs (what fish), how big is the tank? good luck! x

Mouth-Brooder-Fanatic said:
need to get good water circulation with a powerhead , but not too close that it harms the eggs.
need good filtration

whats set up in the tank right now, what are the eggs (what fish), how big is the tank? good luck! x

+1 Excellent advice :)

Mouth-Brooder-Fanatic said:
need good filtration

image-960167114.jpg

I moved them to a 10 gallon so they can be on there own!! Should I keep them with the eggs?? Also what filtration should I use??

absolutangel04 said:
I don't move my adult angels either. I have heard some mixed reviews about the success of doing it, but I just don't bother.

So far they are standing guard still confuse if I want to keep them there or move them I'll sleep on it.

image-1096930351.jpg

Woke up this morning and half the fry eggs are gone don't know who or which one ate them but I don't see any fry hatch so I decide time to move them back into my other tank.

absolutangel04 said:
Yeah, if they are gone this early on then they were eaten. Hopefully some of the remaining eggs will hatch.

Yea I hope so too I'm excited but at let's I know I have a pair!

Are you sure they didn't move them? Once the eggs hatch my pairs usually move the wigglers to another spot. Sometimes they get overzealous when cleaning the eggs and end up eating them also. =[

jetajockey said:
Are you sure they didn't move them? Once the eggs hatch my pairs usually move the wigglers to another spot. Sometimes they get overzealous when cleaning the eggs and end up eating them also. =[

I checked for that but I would have easily spot them since it's a bare tank I was praying that was the case but nope.

Back
Top Bottom