One platy picking on another?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Ellenquacker72

Aquarium Advice Freak
I am in the process of cycling my tank(10g) and I have 1 sunburst mickey mouse platy who is mature, and one red one thats still young (I'm assuming, he's like half the size of the other) Both are males
I didn't notice anything the first few days, they hung out together actually, it was really cute. But on about the 5th ish day I noticed the sunburst was chasing the other a bit. Its gotten gradually worse, and I think the little one is starting to get stressed out now. But he still is eating, and doesnt have ripped fins or anything. So I know they're in a bit stressed right now because of the cycle, so I don't want them any more stressed, and seeing the small one getting picked on is making me really sad. :( I dont have a quarantine tank or anything... So I don't know what to do...
Why is he doing this? Is it because he's young? Will it stop? I figured that since there isn't a female I there, they'd get along... I was hoping that maybe once the little ones hormones kicked in or something that it'd help?
Please help :( any suggestions??? Should I buy another male to even it out? Or will pick on the little one too??? PLEASE?!

Wow... I think this is the first time I haven't gotten a reply... I guess 1/12 is a good ratio.

I think they are establishing a pecking order since they are both males. I'm not expert on aggression but this should start gradually getting better. Usually the little ones always gets picked on (same with people too! Lol)

It can gradually get better, but if it doesn't I would get a female or two to calm things down a bit.

Angelaa122 said:
It can gradually get better, but if it doesn't I would get a female or two to calm things down a bit.

Welcome to AA, Angelaa!

Males can be territorial and with size difference it becomes more noticeable. I do not think a female would help the situation at all, another male might.

With 2 males you would have to add 6 females to counter the agression. Otherwise the males with harass the females to death (literally).

You're best bet is to pick up 3 more male platys. A general rule of thumb for community fish is keeping them in groups of odd numbers, with no less than 5 in a group. It gives the tank boss lots of fish to peck on, instead of just one or 2.

But if I put more platies in I won't really have room for anything else. I'd have to get 3 more males?? Would all of them be ok with a honey gourami and some Pygmy cories??

I think the adult only gets nippy when he's stressed. Once the nitrites disappeared everything was hunky dory! The only time hes done it since is when I was having some issues the temperature in the tank. But I haven't seen any aggressiveness in weeks! Yay!

Glad to hear your aggression problems are improving. Keep checking your levels so you are sure the cycling process is complete. I also have platys 3 males! they are in a 20 gallon with a male molly and a pleco. 4 males in one tank is not a good thing. When I purchased them I told the salesperson I wanted 1 male and 3 female. I am planning to upgrade that tank to a 29 H and use it as a live bearing tank. I realize that platys like the top half of the tank- can someone suggest another peaceful fish that wouldn't eat new fry? will have java fern and moss for fry to hide. I also plan to get a male and female blue mickey mouse but an having trouble finding them. may get more females in blue if I can find them as I need a few more females

The blue Mickey mouse platy are so cute! I saw one once, but I wasn't ready for fish at the time, so I missed him. But the orange and red really look good in my tank so I'm not complaining. Before I added fish I'd been trying to do a fishless cycle, but had had been redosinging my ammo up to 4 ppm for over a month, so when I got fish, Bam! I had nitrites go up then down in barely 2 weeks, with only 5 nitrate in the end. It's perfect. The tanks been stable for a long time now. :) it's very satisfying to have a cycled tank finally! But thanks for your concern!

Back
Top Bottom