One sump or two canisters

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

cichlid_tank619

Aquarium Advice Freak
I am really stuck between the choice of building a custom sump or just adding a second fluval 405.

Tank:
100 gallon
6-8 3" Frontosa
2 3" Gold Calvus
1 3" Black Calvus
3 3" Syndo
4 2" Botia Loach
6 2" Deepwater Haps
Pebble bottom and cobble stone structure.

I feed twice a day (NLS)
No feeding Sunday. 30% water change 1-2 x week. Please guy give me your best opinion! Straight up no BS! LoL

A second canister would work now, but eventually you will need more than that once your tank reaches full size.

Sump.

Do any I you guys have any websites that has diagrams of how it should be built or designed?
As in pervious post I mention I have a forty tall that I hope fits under the tank. If not what would be a good size tank (10-20gallon) or is there another container you guys would recommend? Do you know any sites that have reasonable priced wet/dry boxes?

cichlid_tank619 said:
Do any I you guys have any websites that has diagrams of how it should be built or designed?
As in pervious post I mention I have a forty tall that I hope fits under the tank. If not what would be a good size tank (10-20gallon) or is there another container you guys would recommend? Do you know any sites that have reasonable priced wet/dry boxes?

Store bought filter a pretty pricey and that's why everyone makes their own. It is pretty simple if you just Google search pictures to get an idea. Unfortunately I don't know any good sites, with mine I just winged it. I've found some on eBay going for pretty cheap so you may want to check there. For the tank size you need to measure inside your stand to see what you'll be able to fit. I have a 29 gallon as mine. Here is a picture I pulled off the web pretty basic idea and easy.

images-2.jpeg

Here is one for sale
http://www.ebay.com/itm/aquarium-we...031?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2576ad035f

Last edited:
Andrew McFadden said:
Store bought filter a pretty pricey and that's why everyone makes their own. It is pretty simple if you just Google search pictures to get an idea. Unfortunately I don't know any good sites, with mine I just winged it. I've found some on eBay going for pretty cheap so you may want to check there. For the tank size you need to measure inside your stand to see what you'll be able to fit. I have a 29 gallon as mine. Here is a picture I pulled off the web pretty basic idea and easy.

Here is one for sale
http://www.ebay.com/itm/aquarium-wet-dry-filter-/160904840031?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2576ad035f

Actually saw that one on eBay.. Everything else is like $200+.. LoL

With the "fuge" area can I just get some low to no light plant? I don't really want to run a light inside the stand.

I'm pretty sure the plants would probably die after time not having light. Then again I'm not a planted person, I have a light and haven't tryed not having it.

Andrew McFadden said:
I'm pretty sure the plants would probably die after time not having light. Then again I'm not a planted person, I have a light and haven't tryed not having it.

Maybe a small led? What do you use? Just a light or something fancy?

Andrew McFadden said:
I.just use the cheap light that came with the 29 gallon. But you can use a bulb with a reflection cone.

I have a small reptile light that clips to the side of the tank. I can run it on a timer for a few hours at night when I'm asleep lol..

cichlid_tank619 said:
I have a small reptile light that clips to the side of the tank. I can run it on a timer for a few hours at night when I'm asleep lol..

That will work ;)

I was going to say
You don't want dead plant matter in the sump that will only make water quality worse imo. I'd stick with low light plants if your going to add them in, because they are cheap

cichlid_tank619 said:
Maybe a small led? What do you use? Just a light or something fancy?

If you are doing some low light requirement plants a clip on reading light is suitable.

If you ever want to maximize the effectiveness of a refugium, then build it around fast growing plants (preferably floating plants as they are exposed to air/co2).

I bought my overflow and return kit from glass-hole. Best to drill but ok to use the hob overflow such as the ones from cpr.

Terrance said:
If you ever want to maximize the effectiveness of a refugium, then build it around fast growing plants (preferably floating plants as they are exposed to air/co2).

I bought my overflow and return kit from glass-hole. Best to drill but ok to use the hob overflow such as the ones from cpr.

I think what I'm going to is build the over flow by UARUJOEY from YouTube. Then to a sump with a floating plant section.. So many ideas so little room lol

Back
Top Bottom