One year anniversary upgrade thread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

apr28

Aquarium Advice Activist
It's been one year since I stepped into the hobby and ready for a planted upgrade. Im going from a standard 29g Aqueon kit to a 30g tank. Not much of an upgrade in terms of size but the 6"of length and 2" less depth opens up a few more doors in terms of fish and light getting to the substrate.

Everything besides the flaura and fauna have been ordered or already have. I am going with an African "type" biotope.

Tank: 30g DeepBlue 36x12x16
Lighting: Finnex Planted+ led 36"
Heater: Aqueon Pro 150w
Filters: SunSun 302B & AC30(seeding filter)
Substrate:Api Laterite, Caribsea Ecocomplete, play sand
Plants: Asst. Anubias and Vals
Ferts: Liquid and tabs
CO2: Will add if needed

Stocking:
8-African red eye tetra
3- upside down catfish
2-Kribensis
2-Microctenopoma ansorgii

I will start posting pics and as soon as I start the setup.
Any feedback is awesome as I still dont know everything.

Sounds like you're off to a great start, I run that same tank.. great size! Were you planning on capping Eco with play sand??

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I wasnt going to cap with the playsand but use it as actual substrate in the areas where there were no plants. More for looks in the aquascape I have planned.

If the look Im going for doesnt work out, ill probably just use all Eco Complete on top of the laterite.

Cool.. the river effect?? Also. Plan on dosing a liquid carbon such as excel/metricide? ?

What i think its going to look like

14.jpg

What it will actually look like

aquarium-bamboo.jpg

Hahahah I like it.. that's a very capable light, you should be able to pull off most any scape you'd like..

I'm starting to doubt myself about my lighting choice and hoping my Finnex planted + is not too much lighting for my 16" of depth.

There isnt much info on par out there for this light so Ive started to compare these lights and want to make sure I get the best possible for low-medium lighting.

Current-usa satellite planted +

or

Finnex Fugeray original

or

Finnex planted +

If you are worried about light levels, and aren't running CO2, maybe you can have it on a timer and run a split photoperiod. This will help keep algae down and you can make light the limiting factor for plant growth.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

The last item I need before I start the cycling process is a stand.

Finding a 36" stand I like isnt that easy.

Did you decide on lighting?

Also just ordered a 12" Finnex planted +. Following along with the build

The finnex 24/7 is due out very soon, said to be close to planted plus price and way cooler. I'd wait if you can?

The finnex 24/7 is due out very soon, said to be close to planted plus price and way cooler. I'd wait if you can?

Go on.... What is this mystical 24/7 you speak of?

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

This is really going to give me something to think about when I set my tank up. I feel like Finnex has the best value for light power, but lack some of the bells and whistles my Ecoxotic E-Series has. This new light is very exciting! Can't wait to see what the price is compared to the planted plus.

This is really going to give me something to think about when I set my tank up. I feel like Finnex has the best value for light power, but lack some of the bells and whistles my Ecoxotic E-Series has. This new light is very exciting! Can't wait to see what the price is compared to the planted plus.

I believe I read on TPT that the price will be similar to the planted+ but I agree looks interesting depending on price.

The last item I need before I start the cycling process is a stand.

Finding a 36" stand I like isnt that easy.

Build one...lol. I recently bought 2 planted +s for my 29g and I'm happy so far with the light. I would like to have something with a ramp up and down timer though.

Sent from my SGH-T889 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Back
Top Bottom