Ongoing Algae Problem

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
It should absorb phosphates, but I am not 100% on that specific product. Realistically, I am thinking they may be coming from your other filter media. Try replacing them when you do PWCs and see if that helps. I am also unsure on the capabilities of the Pura pads.

I was recommended the PURA pads by a moderator on here, so I went with the recommendation :) Also, PURA recommend changing every 6+ weeks I believe, but I change them every 4. I can try changing them every 2 weeks though, if you think that might make a difference. I could put the Rowaphos sponge at the end of the PURA pads maybe in my filter?

Maybe I missed it but have you tested your PWC water to see if you are adding it to your tank.

Yeah, I've tested my RO water and nitrates/phosphates were undetectable again.

Mark, how much gunk is built up in them when you change them? I am just thinking that may be a source of build up. When I had the foam sponges in my filter, they would get nasty and become nitrAte/phosphate factories. Now, anytime I get a new filter, the first thing I do is ditch the filter media and foam sponges.
I do remember that recommendation, but remember, some things work for some folks and each tank is different. Sometimes you have to try different things. I had a few recommendations when I was new and found some worked for me and others didn't. For example, I was told to use Phosban but I never got it to work on my system (could be my well water). I just upped the PWCs, took out all media and switched salt and everything is now in good working order.

Mark, how much gunk is built up in them when you change them? I am just thinking that may be a source of build up. When I had the foam sponges in my filter, they would get nasty and become nitrAte/phosphate factories. Now, anytime I get a new filter, the first thing I do is ditch the filter media and foam sponges.
I do remember that recommendation, but remember, some things work for some folks and each tank is different. Sometimes you have to try different things. I had a few recommendations when I was new and found some worked for me and others didn't. For example, I was told to use Phosban but I never got it to work on my system (could be my well water). I just upped the PWCs, took out all media and switched salt and everything is now in good working order.

To be honest, there's hardly any gunk at all built up in the pads, if any. They always look and smell clean, just full of water obviously.

I know what you mean about different things working for different people, but I have found the pads to be good (I have crystal clear water, negligible nitrates, etc.).

I've just ordered some of the Rowaphos pads anyway, so I'll put maybe 3 layers in my filter in between my pads (each layer will only be very small is my filter is tiny, but with my tank also being small I'm hoping it will make the difference), making sure the last layer above the PURA pads (before the little basket of carbon) is Rowaphos.

I'll report back :)

Thanks Mark for your thread. I too have been having an incredible algae bloom that sounds so similar to yours so this is very helpful. My fish also beg every time I go into the room and so I have been reluctant to feed them less -- they just tug at my heart strings and I crumble, but will lessen my feedings.
Thanks
Betsy

Hey there I had algae before and I purchased a uv stabilizer I believe it's called.I paid about $40 for my 24 gallon and It solved the dilemma and haven't had a problem with algae since.

Back
Top Bottom