Open Top

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

itafx

Aquarium Advice Freak
I have a 20 gal SW tank. I just got a 48 Watt Nova Extreme light for it. When I put it on I took off the glass top and I really like it that way. Are there any problems that would crop up from this other than having to top off the tank a lot due to evaporation, and risk of fish jumping out of course.

An open top is actually preferred in SW. It allows more light into the tank and it also aids in gas exchange allowing CO2 to more easily escape. That helps keep the PH up high where it need to be for SW animals. Many people also find corals, especially clams, show their best colors when viewed from above.

I am a big fan of topless tanks for the reasons MT mentioned above. IMHO, it is the way to go with a SW tank, especially a reef.

I agree with everyone else. Topless is better and if you must eggcrate is the way to go.

I agree, I had a top on my 55 and it was a pain trying to keep the pH stable. Go with the egg crate if you are afraid of your fish, carpet surfing.

I've been on the lookout for egg crate ever since seeing these recommendations. All I can find is flimsy stuff. I was expecting to find a clear rigid version, maybe a cell-cast acrylic type. Any ideas on where to find stiff egg crate?

Did you see the stuff at HD or Lowes? The large piece you buy is flimsy, but when you cut it down, it is more sturdy.....

I've seen it at HD, Lowes, and a few other places. If I'm tring to cover a 46 Bow with it, there is only so much I can cut it down and still cover the surface. That is where the problem lies unless I can find something stiffer.

Back
Top Bottom