Operation: Pet store stocking

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
What we would like to see in a store isn't really relevant. Your market will determine what you should and shouldn't carry in terms of livestock, as will the suppliers you have to deal with. Clearly the bread and butter fishes could be the focus if their isn't much competition in the area. If the area is flooded with big box stores, than perhaps cornering a specialty/niche market (more profitable) would be the way to go, but whether that would succeed would depend on what the interest is in your market. It will be an interesting challenge. One thing to consider is that when a customer walks in because they need something, the last thing they wan't to hear is we can order it for you. Having sufficient stock on hand is an issue of capital, which obviously will be a limiting factor, as will space. Weekly specials on fish, and tanks sold at cost are important to draw customers. People are more likely to pay the premium on equipment if they are getting the tank cheap.

It is a great opportunity to do something like this!
I would recommend making some sort of small pamphlet that customers can take that says a lot of stuff about how to get started and what fish for beginners. This would help a lot of people new to the fish world get it right with their first tank!

I hope it's somewhat obvious that I've put a lot of thought and research into stocking a shop and I think BillD pretty much nailed it. Work with the area breeders. I know of one that breeds healthy nice fish. Not ultra rare, but nice. I'm sure there are others. If there is a club in the area, support it and it will support you.

Thanks.

I don't think we will have the floor space to stock a myriad of tanks, but there will likely be a few. I believe we can price match the other places, so that isn't a problem. I have been tossing around the idea of utilizing one of the many used setups that are floating around locally and just cleaning them up, making sure everything is in good shape and then selling them relatively cheap.

I'm definitely going to do a pamphlet with basic cycling information.

I'm going to put together a basic starter order at segrest tonight, just to get things rolling. After we get some fish in I think it'll be easier to determine what direction to go as far as what else to stock, what works, what doesn't, etc.

I'm planning to fabricate a betta divider to put into the tanks so that I can put several in one tank in their own sections, we'll see how that goes also. I'll probably just put them in their own tanks for a while until I run out of room, since I foresee having several empty tanks for a while.

I think a selection of nano fish such a great idea! I think a lot of people own small household tanks and it would be great to offer them some cool species that will thrive in a small tank.
IMO, angels are always a necessity for a well-stocked aquarium section. I would also suggest a variety of cool bottom feeders like some of the less common plecos. Here, people are all over those guys sooooo fast. I also suggest stocking nerites and amano shrimp. :)

^ Oh yeah, that brings to mind another thing. I hear too many people coming into our local fish store looking for a "sucker fish" or "algae eater" and leave with a baby common pleco, not knowing/caring that it'll eventually turn into a monster. So it'd probably be good to just stock ottos and the smaller plecos as the store's main 'algae fish'.

Yeah, we aren't going to have any common plecos at all, except the ones that are already here in display tanks.

We are primarily going to go with bristlnoses, clowns, etc for now, and might venture into the less common ones at some point if it takes a specialty angle.

We are also planning to take in fish so I foresee lots of common plecos in the future, lol.

I'm looking at the bettas right now, interesting that they can come with or without an 8oz or 16oz cup . . .

I'm planning to fabricate a betta divider to put into the tanks so that I can put several in one tank in their own sections, we'll see how that goes also. I'll probably just put them in their own tanks for a while until I run out of room, since I foresee having several empty tanks for a while.
I'm interested in what you come up with for this. I've been trying to figure out the best way to do this myself in a 20L. Can't think of any way more cost efficient to heat and filter several small tanks.

What about a small selection of live food starter cultures, vinegar eels, microworms etc

Are you going to have mudskippers? Those are definatly unique!
Also, i agree with others, and think a shrimp tank would be awesome!
And, is this a large store? If so, i would add a show tank near the entrance to attract attention! 10g with lots of plants, shrimp, and colorful nano fish would get some business!!

Yes on the fry food cultures, I have most of them already so culturing them is something I do anyway. I might even do daphnia if I can maintain a culture indoors, we'll see about that.

We have a pretty big, 125 or 150ish (6' long) size tank that is going near the entrance. Thought about going well planted with something colorful, probably natives or angelfish for now, just depends on what I have to work with.

The shrimp thing is a great idea, maybe something like a fluval ebi on the sales counter.

The store is pretty large, especially for a locally owned place, but the dedicated fish section is probably about 20x15 give or take.

Healthy guppies is something else that I can do pretty well. I have several guppy strains that have been somewhat hit and miss in breeding, and I think that my extremely soft water has something to do with it. I'm going to transfer some to the store tanks to see if the results are any better, the water there is around 8.0.

Also, my lfs sells/gives away all of its little pest snails to people with puffers.
I would suggest selling dp or the South American puffer. Something other than the gsp I usually see. :)
Another thought, aquatic amphibians. ADF, paddle-tail newts, red-bellied newts. If the store doesn't have those already someplace else that it.

Have you ever thought about selling natives? Native fish have always intrigued me for some reason, I've never tried them, but I do like to read about them from occassion to occassion and I'm sure people would be fascinated by the thought of sort of having a stream from their country in their own back yard :) JMO.

Definitely will look into the aquatic amphibian angle, although its not something I know anything about, so who knows lol.

And definitely planning to put native fish in there, if everything is kosher on the legal end. Still doing some research to make sure, but yeah, I'd love to do that.

I've been looking at killis and unfortunately this particular supplier only has them in pairs, so I'm going to have to get up with some killi hobbyists and find a hookup.

@ absolute, I actually just added a half dozen dwarf puffers to my basket. They have SA's, but I'm going to wait till next order time to get them since they are substantially more.

On a side note, I saw a ridiculously gross looking flowerhorn + parrot hybrid, at least thats what it looks like and is described as... o_O

Awesome. Red-bellied and paddle tails are probably the most common aquatic newts but the paddle tails are usually hardier. :) They are way cool!

Good move on the puffers. I think the smaller puffs would really be much better sellers than the gsp. :)

Flower-parrot-blood-horn? No thanks.

Another thought: crabs. :) I know you are limited on space, but crabs/crays are awesome.

Have you thought about stocking according to tank size minimums.. like 10 g min. In one column with aggressive on bottom semi in the middle and non up top then 20/30/40/50 etc that way when you see ppl browsing you could just ask their tank size and tell them from this row over to keep from ppl accidentally buying a monster their not ready for

Just a thought, maybe you should keep some space open or at least have the option of an empty tank. If you are willing to take in fish, then I am sure someone will show up with a larger cichlid and then it will happen pretty regularly. Something like that is very eye catching to customers.

Yeah we are going to keep a few tanks open as 'rescue' tanks.

As far as stocking the tanks goes, I'm planning to stock the tanks according to size from left to right, as well as color code them. It not only helps the customer but also the employees will easier guide them.

I also found a nice poster with a generic stocking compatibility guideline on it so I'll use that also.

Back
Top Bottom