Opinions on fluval c02 88?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

m0stUniQue

Aquarium Advice Activist
If I ended up using c02 what do you guys think of using the fluval c02 88? Its kinda an all in one system and very affordable.
Thanks again (y)

I have one and love it.

Others may disagree, but it is perfect for my tanks' needs.
I only have a 20g tank, and IMO for this size tank, it's not worth the effort to go a large CO2 solution (nor do I have the space). The refills are affordable and easily available (in AUS). I just turn on the CO2 30 mins before lighs on and 30 mins before lighs off. From the research I did before buying this, it doesn't look like you can easily add a solenoid to control CO2 on a timer. Unfortunatley it's a manual process.

I've had great results.
Here's the latest pic of my planted tank.

img_2050032_0_396315049202dcad6a2a6094399368b8.jpg

Wow that's a beautiful tank :) yea about the whole size space thing my parents would never let me have anykind of huge air tank :p, do you just use the 88g cartridges from hardware stores? And if you don't mind me asking what type of substrate are you using? :)

The cartridges I buy off the net, or from my LFS when they have them (they sell quick here). The Fluval Cartridges have a propietary screw thread - IE the thread on the fluval setup is different and only works with fluval products.

There's a few forums where people convert Paintball CO2 canisters to suit their fluval 88g setup, but it looks like a lot of mucking around for less than guaranteed results.

Here and Here

I made the plunge into a planted tank before knowing about ideal substrates. Mine is just painted aquarium gravel. I made sure not to get a calcium based substrate as this will raise your pH (most white gravel from LFS is calcium based). This gravel also allows for good aeration of water around the roots. This being said, I've had pretty good results so far.
http://www.merriam-webster.com/medical/proprietary

I considered getting it but went with a bigger and better setup. The fluval co2 isn't reliable and the refills are terribly expensive. It is a hassle to turn the co2 on and off each day, too. A regulator with a solenoid and bigger tank will cost a fraction of what the fluval one will cost in the long run because of refills.

Back
Top Bottom