Opinions on live stock?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

emilygupps

Aquarium Advice FINatic
ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1414336071.725737.jpg

This is my boyfriend's baby. He might love this tank more than he loves me ;)

It's a 17g rimless and currently a plant only tank. It did have a foster betta for a while but since we had a problem with a sudden drop in ph we moved the betta to an other tank to wait for his permanent home at my friend's house.

The tank has been running for 4 months, and seems to have cycled with the help of the betta. We had a second mini cycle a couple weeks ago which seems to have cleared its self up we are in no hurry to get fish. I want to observe its params for an other month to be sure it's truly cycled.

Here are our ideas to go in let us know what you think. We are pretty open minded.

Option 1: 1 pair of GBR from a local breeder. No other fish.

Option 2: a school of micro fish other than Galaxy rasborras as we already have a galaxy tank. And some sort of bottom feeders (a large colony of shrimp?)

Option 3: exotic shrimp only (the size of rcs) we have orange in the galaxy tank and red in our 30g. John really likes the red and white striped ones.

Option 4: your call

We DONT want: neons, ghost shrimp, cardinals, no female live bearers.

Thanks i advance for your ideas!!

Sent from my iPhone

Beautiful tank! What all do you have planted in there?

People suggested Furcata and Gurtrudae Rainbows to me. I think they would look great in that tank!!

I think that tank was made for gbrs! Nice work em and bo... looks great!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

A large school of the tiniest fish you can find would play well with the scale ...

Have you seen Danio Tinwinii? Somehow I like the idea of bronze instead of colored fish in there. The plants are so delicately colored bright fish might make the plants look pale. The Danio Tinwinii look like little flecks of gold and school well, in our local LFS tank.

Sent from my iPhone with three hands tied behind my back.

What about a pair of Apistogramma cacatuoides or agassizii? They would look great in there.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Wow that is an amazing tank! :jealous:

Fishobsessed7

Thank you so much :)

Maybe peacock gudgeons?

Fishobsessed7

The bf is worried they'll just lay around the bottom? Any thoughts on this?

Beautiful tank! What all do you have planted in there?

People suggested Furcata and Gurtrudae Rainbows to me. I think they would look great in that tank!!

We have:
Rotala Rotundifolia
Mattogrossensmyriophyllum (wth?)
Hygrophilia pinnatifida
Heteranthera zosterifolia
Rotala wallichii

That was so hard to type!! My auto correct hates me.

how about some
6 cory cats
and
6cherry barb
1GBR

That seems like a lot of fish for our little tank and I'm pretty scared of barbs. They're so nippy right?

Well, it is a really nice tank.
I like options 1 or 3.

We are leaning toward GBR

Definitely GBRs. Or what about apistos?

No experience with apistos but I'm open to the idea. I'll do some reading.

I think that tank was made for gbrs! Nice work em and bo... looks great!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Thanks brook! Do you think we will need a slate in there for a gbr pair? There isn't really much room. I think he will have pull up some carpet.

A large school of the tiniest fish you can find would play well with the scale ...

Have you seen Danio Tinwinii? Somehow I like the idea of bronze instead of colored fish in there. The plants are so delicately colored bright fish might make the plants look pale. The Danio Tinwinii look like little flecks of gold and school well, in our local LFS tank.

They are beautiful!!! I bet hard to find. I love this idea. My vote has been for a school of tiny tiny fish. I'll have to see if we can find them any where local.

Sent from my iPhone with three hands tied behind my back.

What about a pair of Apistogramma cacatuoides or agassizii? They would look great in there.

It's pretty tied up! Apistos, peacocks, and GBR!

Another vote for Peacock Gudgeons.

Noted :)

Sent from my iPhone

I hope that link works for you, I'm on my tablet. I also saw a suggestion from evansbradley for gertrudae rainbows (Pseudomugil gertrudae)- these are also an excellent suggestion for a tank this size. Here is a profile. http://www.seriouslyfish.com/species/pseudomugil-gertrudae/

Another suggestion I have, although your tank may be a bit on the small side depending on dimensions, would be the threadfin rainbow. (Iriatherina werneri). http://www.seriouslyfish.com/species/iriatherina-werneri/

I think what this comes down to is (at least in part) whether you want a group of fish to complement the colors that you have going on there, or a pair of fish to breed (that may also complement those colors, lol). Whatever you decide, it is a beautiful tank. :)

The lights are buildmyled 24inch beam angle 10,000k

The bf felt like you should know what kind of lights he has. (Boys and their toys)

Sent from my iPhone

I think that's a little small for thread fins but would be great for all the other small rainbows.

I think it would be fine, honestly. I've kept threadfins in 20 high tanks several times, the only difference in dimensions being an extra 2 inches in height on the 20 high.

I like to give rainbows more space than I would other comparably sized fish because of their activity level. Also depends on how big of a school, I think.

Back
Top Bottom