Opinions wanted on my list of supplies

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Rondory

Aquarium Advice Freak
I'm still learning from you wise fish people, but this is the setup I have so far. I just want to make sure I have done enough homework to get my tank up and running properly. Wanting to start out with some Kribs then add some Rainbows(not shark) and other compatible fish.
After a couple weeks I wish to add a small pleco

I have a 46g bow

Filter.......RENA Filstar XP 2 Canister Filter

Heater.....Hydor ETH 200 In-Line Heater-200 W
(Should I return it for the 300wat?)

Lighting.....Just the standard bulb that came with the hood
also looking for a moon glow bar (not a DIY)

50ft Python with holder

Will be using Bio Spira and Prime

Oceanvisions - 23" High - Crystal Black background

2 large pieces of driftwood, silk plants(not ready for all live yet) and 2 caves

Looking for Java moss at lfs for the driftwood

My lfs sells New Life Spectrum Fish Food that I plan to purchase

I currently have a medium sized pebble gravel that I like, but not sure if the fish will like.

Aquarium Pharmaceuticals Freshwater Master Test Kit

Aquaclear Powerhead #402 With Reverse Flow

Thermometer

What else do I need to buy from Big Al? :lol: :lol: I can't wait for my husband to see the big box that will arrive tomorrow. 8O :wink:

Thank you!

OMG, You pretty much have the best of everything picked out. :D

Heater.....Hydor ETH 200 In-Line Heater-200 W
(Should I return it for the 300wat?)
5 Watts per gal, so yeah, I'd go with the 300 (if they don't have a 250)

Nets and thermometer? LOL All I can think of.

IME 4 watts per gal is fine, go with whatever you think is best I guess. It does depend on how cold the house gets though. I have a furnace that warms up all the rooms in the house so it never gets that cold and the aquarium heaters don't have to work too much.

I'd go with the 300W heater. And for the thermometer, if you have a little extra Christmas money left, go digital with a probe that goes in the tank. some of the glass thermometers in the tank are hard to read. Also, a net, yes, need one of those.....

If the 300W is not that much more, go for it...it will work less hard than the 200W. The only other thing I would have added was more light, but since you are planning to wait to do live plants, its certainly not needed just yet.

Oh wait...a timer for your lights, and possibly a powerbar to plug it all into.

I am assuming that the tank comes with stand and glass top.

Python No Spill Clean & Fill. One of the best items I have ever purchased. You can try a few water changes using a tube and bucket if you want to, but you will eventually give in and get the Python. :wink:

Rondory said:
Filter.......RENA Filstar XP 2 Canister Filter

I did the maintenance on my new XP3 just to see how it was done, and boy was it easy, took less than 5 minutes to do it, and I've never done it before. :)

Also, what do you plan on getting for media? For mine, I have the sponges in the lower basket, both coarse and medium sponges, 2 of each. Middle basket I have cylinders and lava media. Upper basket I have stars media, and then I used 2 of the fine filters, instead of 1 fine filter and the Chem Zorb, or whatever it's called. Don't need it.

Might look at getting at least cylinders for one of the compartments to go with the sponges and fine filter floss. You will have one less basket in the XP2. But that's ok. Don't really need tons of media, as the sponges will be the biggest source of bacteria in the filter.

If you get the 200W ETH make sure it is the one with the 5/8" fittings to match the diameter of the Filstar output hose. I would get a PowerCenter power strip with built-in timer to turn your lights on and off automatically.

I run the 300w Hydro on my 75gal and it keeps a stable temp, so I suspect the 200 would be fine for your 48 bow.

But the 300 would work too.

gheitman said:
If you get the 200W ETH make sure it is the one with the 5/8" fittings to match the diameter of the Filstar output hose. I would get a PowerCenter power strip with built-in timer to turn your lights on and off automatically.

Grrrrr.....I received the 200W heater and all my other supplies and the hose on the filter is too big for the heater. I wonder who packed my box and if they thought maybe I might be using the filter and heater together. :lol:
I just read the back of the heater box and it seems that I need the 201 model that Big Al's doesn't seem to carry. Looks like I get the bigger heater after all.

Thank you so very much for all of your opinions on my supplies! I have to admit that I get a bit anal about my pets and want to buy the best for them up front verses experimenting with lower quality things and then having to upgrade later on.

if you have a little extra Christmas money left, go digital with a probe that goes in the tank.
I think Santa needs to come back to my house!

Oh wait...a timer for your lights, and possibly a powerbar to plug it all into.

I am assuming that the tank comes with stand and glass top

Ah yes, I forgot the powerbar and timer! Wood stand and top was part of the tank package.

Also, what do you plan on getting for media? For mine, I have the sponges in the lower basket, both coarse and medium sponges, 2 of each. Middle basket I have cylinders and lava media. Upper basket I have stars media, and then I used 2 of the fine filters, instead of 1 fine filter and the Chem Zorb, or whatever it's called. Don't need it.

LOL.....Just read about all this stuff when I opened up the Rena instruction booklet, so I need to do a search and learn more about what I need and why. Thank you very much for the suggestions!

Thanks again to everyone!

Rondory said:
LOL.....Just read about all this stuff when I opened up the Rena instruction booklet, so I need to do a search and learn more about what I need and why. Thank you very much for the suggestions!

Here's what I'd probably do if I had the XP2.

Lower basket, 2 coarse sponges in lower half, and 2 medium sponges in the upper half of lower basket.

Upper basket, I'd fill the lower half of the basket with cylinders, then I'd put 2 of the fine filter media and leave out the ChemZorb in the upper half of the basket..

I use these in my Emperors and now in my XP3
http://www.bigalsonline.com/catalog/product.xml?product_id=32283;category_id=2259

Lonewolfblue said:
Rondory said:

Here's what I'd probably do if I had the XP2.

Lower basket, 2 coarse sponges in lower half, and 2 medium sponges in the upper half of lower basket.

Upper basket, I'd fill the lower half of the basket with cylinders, then I'd put 2 of the fine filter media and leave out the ChemZorb in the upper half of the basket..

I use these in my Emperors and now in my XP3
http://www.bigalsonline.com/catalog/product.xml?product_id=32283;category_id=2259

THank you for adding that bit of info. I am so impressed with the weath of quaility information that I have received so far on this site.

Lonewolfblue said:

Thank you!

Back
Top Bottom