Oranda eggs!!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

TomCarter13

Aquarium Advice Activist
My chocolate oranda male & my female red & white oranda laid eggs yesterday morning in a 40 gal breeder tub :) (In New Zealand spring is start of september through to end of november just incase this confuses some people) As soon as the parents stopped i took them out and i lowered the water level to about 12-15 cm. i dosed the appropriate amount of methylene blue (preventing fungus) into the tub and i set the temperature to 21-23C so i hope i have done good so far :). Today i noticed at least half of the eggs are white and the other half are clear :) i would just like to receive tips and feed back on what i should expect from the eggs and also when i should give the fry there first meal? Also maybe some stories of other peoples experiences with raising goldfish too ;)

Thank you!

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Today i saw little eyes inside of the eggs and i can see there little bodys :) still nit quite sure when to give them there first feeding ince they are hatched though?

I haven't raised goldfish in tanks but I have in ponds. I would say give them their first meal when they first hatch. In my experience my goldfish lay their eggs in late spring/early summer so that's the same time the tadpoles and Mosquitos and everything else in the pond hatch as well so as soon as the fry hatch they have a variety of foods to eat. I suggest you feed them a high protein diet at first so they are strong and healthy like mine did! You can try to put a container full of water outside for Mosquitos to come lay their eggs and once they hatch into the larvae stage you can feed them to your fry. That's the cheapest thing you can do. You could also do baby brine shrimp but it requires you to incubate them.

NatureFish
????

Thanks for the reply!

I have got a DIY brine shrimp hatchery and the best quality brine shrimp eggs i could find :) i also have an old fountain hidden in some garden bush plants that have a ton of mosquito larvae which i will feed when needed :)

The little fry inside the eggs are moving around so im hoping that they will hatch very soon!

Thanks for the reply!

I have got a DIY brine shrimp hatchery and the best quality brine shrimp eggs i could find :) i also have an old fountain hidden in some garden bush plants that have a ton of mosquito larvae which i will feed when needed :)

The little fry inside the eggs are moving around so im hoping that they will hatch very soon!

When they first hatch, they do not swim unless forced. Try not to disturb them for the first 24-48hrs after hatching. They live off of their yolk sac during this time. Once they become free swimming (@48hrs), it's time to start feeding bbs! Supplementing this with strained egg yolk/vitamins/probiotics is also beneficial. Fry need to be fed consistently and frequently (8x a day is recommended) and their water quality needs to be absolutely pristine (daily or more frequent wcs). Congrats on the fry!! Do not hesitate to ask any questions! :)

So happy!!!!!! They are hatching and yes i accidentally knocked the tub and thats when i saw the fry swimming around :| i have got 3 hatcheries set up so hopefully that should every few hours they can get a fresh batch of bbs. Solid Gold raises butterfly fry and she only fed hers 2 x a day and hers look great!!

Thanks for the info!!!!

Yes, I know the name but I do not agree with 2x a day in any respect. Even for adults, this is really pushing it. Fry need consistent nutrition for proper growth and development. Keep in mind, 'SG' is only showcasing the top fish out of a normal spawn of 1000-2000 fry. Without proper nutrition, fry develop very poorly, do not grow well (if at all) and will have minor to severe defects.

My suggestion is to feed your fry. :)

Yeah i will try my best :) i do still go to school so it is going to be quite difficult however i have got holidays soon so things will get easier i hope :)

So happy!!!!!! They are hatching and yes i accidentally knocked the tub and thats when i saw the fry swimming around :| i have got 3 hatcheries set up so hopefully that should every few hours they can get a fresh batch of bbs. Solid Gold raises butterfly fry and she only fed hers 2 x a day and hers look great!!

Thanks for the info!!!!

I watch solid gold too! She's really cool and knowledgeable! But Her hair is....original?

NatureFish
????

Yes, I know the name but I do not agree with 2x a day in any respect. Even for adults, this is really pushing it. Fry need consistent nutrition for proper growth and development. Keep in mind, 'SG' is only showcasing the top fish out of a normal spawn of 1000-2000 fry. Without proper nutrition, fry develop very poorly, do not grow well (if at all) and will have minor to severe defects.

My suggestion is to feed your fry. :)

Actually, a spawn of a goldfish is only about 500 eggs in total, but usually about 50-150 survive!

There is at least 50 fry and not even all the eggs have hatched! I will definitely get a picture of them once i come home from school :)

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1410235321.268304.jpg

Came home from school today to find pretty much every single egg has hatched!!! There are hundreads!! They are so adorable to! Hopefully i can start feeding them tomorrow afternoon or the next day :)

I have had the parents for not that long actually.. Probably just over 2 months or so? :)

Actually, a spawn of a goldfish is only about 500 eggs in total, but usually about 50-150 survive!

I breed fancies. 500 is on the low side for a spawn. Mine average 1000-2000 eggs with a majority survival rate but they are culled down to a more manageable number within the first seven days with a lot more culls over the next 30 days. Even a couple hundred fish are impossible to raise healthy unless you run a fish hatchery.

Great fry pics!!! :)

Thank you! I am about to give the fry there first meal :) Once i removed the plants i now know there are about 500-1000 fry. Please just be aware i am only young and this is my first time getting this far in breeding any fish! I will start culling when i feel comfortable and obviously i don't really know what looks great and what doesn't. I am scared i will throw away good fish. This is a learning thing for me haha.

I have got a spare 20 gal i will use for more fry and i have a big 60 gal tank i will put the fry in when they are big enough :)

Photos are the parents by the way :)
ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1410325131.102739.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1410325165.380960.jpg

Please note that the dad i know isn't in too good of a condition but i ordered him from a pet store and he must have gotten a bit beat up on his way to my place :| he is still a beautiful fish though!!!

Dad is chocolate oranda
Mum is red &white oranda.

Back
Top Bottom