Oranda React to Maracyn 2

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

kate_1214

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hello,
I recently added an oranda to my tank who had a little bit of a swim bladder problem at the store, and I noticed (no bloating, behavioral or other symptoms) that her scales were not perfectly smooth. An oranda breeder on the internet said to treat at the first signs of dropsy with Maracyn Two. I've used Maracyn Two in the past, but never on an oranda, and she seems to have been poisoned by it. I've never seen anything like this. She can't control her body (she floats upside down sometimes), she darts around the tank, and she won't eat. Please advise.

She is in a 20 gallon tank with a bare bottom, a Top Fin and an Aqueon filter, an Aqueon heater. No ammonia/nitrite and nitrate is 10ppm. The pH is 7.8 and the temperature is consistently 76 degrees Farenheit. I do a 20% water change every 24 hours.

Do you still have the box? What is the expiration date? How much did you dose? Did you add anything else (such as salt or other meds)?

Unfortunately, the best you can do for now are lots and lots of big water changes (over the course of a day) and run some new carbon. The carbon along with the wcs will remove the med from the tank. Only time will tell if your oranda will recover.

In the future, I would opt for a metro-medicated food for possible dropsy but keep in mind that even if a fish were to recover, the likelihood of it occurring again is very probable. Dropsy is a symptom of disease rather than a disease itself and it's causes are numerous. This is why it's very difficult to treat.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Thank you

Thank you so much. I've been doing about 1/3 water changes every day (trying not to be shocking) do you think I should be doing more? I'm honestly not sure that it was dropsy in the first place anymore, and I don't know what it is now. When I got her she was very constipated, and she got constipated again once I had gotten her better. I have since switched the food, but my other oranda eats and poops healthily. I saw a white bubbly poop (like a constipation poop) in the water yesterday, plus some healthy poops. I think that my sick oranda may also be constipated again or have a swim bladder issue that was somehow made worse by the medication?
Another oranda person suggested I treat her with PIMAFIX, but I would only even try it once I'm sure the medicine that made her sick has left her body, and I'm not sure it would be smart to do that.

If you think she's constipated feed her some boiled deshelled peas. Also frozen dafia can help constipation.

Sent from my Kestrel using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Thanks everyone, she is totally better. I followed JLK's advice with the big water changes. :)

Back
Top Bottom