Orange Eye Blue Tiger Shrimp Adventure

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Autumnsky

Site Team
It has already been more of a nightmare than an adventure!!!

Over a year ago I wanted to start keeping OEBT. But since I had only cared for Amano and Bamboo shrimp I figured some experience would be prudent.

After caring for the Cherry shrimp successfully, I decided to look for the OEBTs around August. Pretty much every where I looked they were out of stock or unavailable, or too expensive, mostly just unavailable.

I was looking for shrimp which were around $10 or less each. Or 12 for $100.

Although I wanted them locally I was unsuccessful in finding a local source.

Didn't want to waste money on shipping, and also wanted to see what the true color of the shrimp I was buying would be. No such luck.

Finally ordered from a seller on Ebay. Got them for much less than I was willing to pay, but it almost equaled out after shipping. $51. plus $17 shipping.

Will go into all the details.

Here is the pic of the shrimp, it's not much to see. It is the blue shadow around 12 o'clock, next to the Salvina Minima, next to the long strand of moss. Sorry about the bad pic. I will use a different camera in the next day or so.

60074-albums11858-picture52854.jpg
[/IMG]

The communications with the seller were poor.

Was looking for medium to Royal Blue color shrimp. Received two nice colored shrimp, but it was a joke what the seller sent.

Two arrived nice medium blue, look like they could go medium dark blue, 3mm and a smaller 2mm,

two 4mm Greyish

and a 3mm greyish FIVE I could actually see well

two very small but visible shrimp pale

4 specks, one whitish, one yellow, one golden and one kinda clear/grey, which were probably born the day before they were shipped. Not kidding, They were around 1-1.5 mm, like the tip of a stick pin and thin as a hair. Like invisible, had to have a magnifying glass, to see them, a joke.

The deal was for 10+2 and I counted and counted and counted, and tried to find the last one and didn't, and only counted 11.

I got them situated but their tank wasn't ready.

A year ago, my daughter let me use her tank, a 6.6 Edge, and gave it to me.

This was the tank 1 & 1/2 weeks ago.

60074-albums9764-picture50416.jpg
[/IMG]

Since the shrimp weren't coming last week I decided to rinse the sand and rescape and give the little jungle a trim.

But then this is what happened, for more detail you can read all of it here

http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums/f12/foaming-water-250729.html

60074-albums9764-picture52496.jpg

60074-albums9764-picture52495.jpg

So because the Edge tank went weird. I am using the Bettas established tank a 2.5G Aqueon, so bummed.

Right now the tank is at 70F
Ammo .25 out of tap (added 3-4x dose of Prime)
Nitrite 0
Nitrate 5
I will do a pwc Sunday

pH 7

These are too low right?
Kh 3 drops
GH 3 "

I was told they should be around 150ppm, is that right?

What should I do?

The shrimp guy wasn't at the lfs Friday when I went and the other guys didn't know anything about which mineral additive was right for doing RO water.

Any ideas?

Anybody have OEBT and what do you keep them at?

Thank you for any help.

Sorry to hear that things aren't going well for you right now!

gH/kH shouldn't be at 150, that would be way too high. I would try to get it at 7-8. I would also try to get the TDS to be around 200 (tigers like water a bit harder than other caridinas). To remineralize RO water for shrimp a very popular option is bee shrimp mineral gH+. A more inexpensive option is to use GLA's gH booster along with a kH booster such as baking soda or seachem's kH booster. Baking soda is a salt, however, and it will supposedly wear out as time goes on. I have heard good things about seachem's mix.

They have orange eyes!!!

Couldn't really see their eyes before, but it is sooooo cute. The medium (when I say medium, I mean medium tiny lol) blonde tiger had glowing orange eyes. :D

There are at least 6 I can identify.

The small blue one
white very small one,
Tiny amber
tiny yellow,
Grey blue larger one (meaning larger tiny lol)
medium tiny blonde with tiger stripes

I think I saw a small one which looked clear, but it is so hard to tell, that's my best guess. They move around so much.

They have grown already. I am so glad they are alive they must have been hiding from molting...

So scared they had died!!!

It will be a struggle to keep up with them, being so small...at least mostly they are alive. Though I haven't seen the bigger medium blue. :(

Good luck with them :) the one i saw in your pic looks so tiny!

That was a "larger" one from the bunch!

Did their wc without problems and looked good this morning only saw one, he was swimming actively and getting goodies out of the moss.

It has been odd that they hardly notice/ bother with the food. Which is a couple pellets of Shrimp Cuisine by Hikari, which are the size of the metal pin head/very tiny size. Or a couple tiny crumbs of sinking pellets (omnivore) also from Hikari. A few darted over eventually to see what it was, had a taste and scampered off, then the small army of snails came over to eat, the small amount of food and it was gone after a couple hours.

They are frenetically picking the plants and rocks, and since they are so small maybe that is good.

I will look into a few new types of shrimp food.

Any suggestions??? Repashy and Shirakura Ebi Dama are always high on the list, but I haven't had time yet to check the ingredients in them -busy week!

Tried some pics but they were bad. I may get a new cell phone next week with a good camera. I will try in the next few days for a decent shot with a different one. Would love to have the bright orange glowing eyes show up, sooooooo awesome!!!

That was a "larger" one from the bunch!

Did their wc without problems and looked good this morning only saw one, he was swimming actively and getting goodies out of the moss.

It has been odd that they hardly notice/ bother with the food. Which is a couple pellets of Shrimp Cuisine by Hikari, which are the size of the metal pin head/very tiny size. Or a couple tiny crumbs of sinking pellets (omnivore) also from Hikari. A few darted over eventually to see what it was, had a taste and scampered off, then the small army of snails came over to eat, the small amount of food and it was gone after a couple hours.

They are frenetically picking the plants and rocks, and since they are so small maybe that is good.

I will look into a few new types of shrimp food.

Any suggestions??? Repashy and Shirakura Ebi Dama are always high on the list, but I haven't had time yet to check the ingredients in them -busy week!

Tried some pics but they were bad. I may get a new cell phone next week with a good camera. I will try in the next few days for a decent shot with a different one. Would love to have the bright orange glowing eyes show up, sooooooo awesome!!!

I just bought mine Hikari crab cuisine but I've yet to try it. There's a thread I just created under the Hikari on inverts somebody was really helpful and gave me a list of foods to try it might give you some ideas if you want? Can't wait to see you're pics :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Two days ago I checked in on the little guys with a magnifying glass. I found one OEBT baby which was so tiny I think it could have been an egg when I got them... weird.

It was the size of a safety pin tip. Had orange eyes so it wasn't a left over. Not even visible. I found it while I was looking at a piece of coral with the magnifying glass, observing what a good job the shrimp and snails had done of cleaning some algae which had grown on it when the Betta was in the tank previously. The super tiny shrimp was about the size between a comma and a period. Just a speck!!! So weird...

Well there were appx still 6-7 shrimp I could find. So either the rest are good hiders or they don't exist. :confused:

Doing a very careful pwc today. See if I can find any more egg size babies.

Now I wonder if the seller caught a momma and then threw her back into his own tank and knocked off a couple eggs. Possibly might have sucked them up more of them and thrown them out with the poop :(. Certainly wasn't looking for eggs. Maybe??

Last edited:
Two days ago I checked in on the little guys with a magnifying glass. I found one OEBT baby which was so tiny I think it could have been an egg when I got them... weird.

It was the size of a safety pin tip. Had orange eyes so it wasn't a left over. Not even visible. I found it while I was looking at a piece of coral with the magnifying glass, observing what a good job the shrimp and snails had done of cleaning some algae which had grown on it when the Beta was in the tank previously. The super tiny shrimp was about the size between a comma and a period. Just a speck!!! So weird...

Well there were appx still 6-7 shrimp I could find. So either the rest are good hiders or they don't exist. :confused:

Doing a very careful pwc today. See if I can find any more egg size babies.

Now I wonder if the seller caught a momma and then threw her back into his own tank and knocked off a couple eggs. Possibly might have sucked them up more of them and thrown them out with the poop :(. Certainly wasn't looking for eggs. Maybe??

Seriously hard job you, ve got! Pwc must be difficult for you I, d never see them. So do you think they sent you eggs? I still can't believe the size they sent them to you.

Hi!

I know! My husband asked what kind of feedback to give the seller, we have an ebay acct too so we can't leave negative feedback, but can leave positive and describe the size and lack of communication. I was so disgusted about the whole thing I hate to even think about it.

New pics

Not very good, still didn't get a new phone. At least you can tell what the little blurry thing is! lol

60074-albums11858-picture53763.jpg
[/IMG]

60074-albums11858-picture53765.jpg
[/IMG]

Found several of them in the tank today the pic of this one, and one other the bluer ones too pics were hard to see, may post one just for the heck of it.

Just for info and size, the orange-y colored substrate IS sand, those pieces under him are GRAINS of sand not rocks or gravel, LOL. He is the biggest little guy, although there is a blonde oebt hiding somewhere who is bigger too.

Just for info and size, the orange-y colored substrate IS sand, those pieces under him are GRAINS of sand not rocks or gravel, LOL. He is the biggest little guy, although there is a blonde oebt hiding somewhere who is bigger too.

Omg they're grains of sand! I thought the little guy was standing on gravel whoops boy is he tiny! How big do they get?

The teeny tiny ones are now getting to be visible. The bigger ones are appx. 3/4 inch now. The biggest ones are "blonde". Two are blonde and one is orange eye orange almost looks like an orange tiger. There are a couple light blues and if the dark blues are there I haven't seen them for a bit.

There were several shells from molting so I am hoping I find the blue ones after a couple days of hiding. Tomorrow, they will be scanned and I will do an official count, lol. With my description of size and color.

Now looking to buy a few real blue ones, up to 10. Hoping to find them locally so I can actually SEE them before purchase.

The 6.6G Edge tank originally planned as the home for the OEBT stopped "foaming" about a week ago so I will be checking it over the next month to see if it is stable and maybe by then I will have all of the little OEBT shrimp large enough to see/catch!

In 60 days, I HOPE to see berried shrimp!

Right now they are heartily cleaning all over the tank. Still don't seem to be enthusiastic about the food. So will change it up and try a new one.

Any suggestions for a new food. Right now is Hikari Shrimp Cuisine, little bits of Hikari Sinking wafers for omnivores, and Algae tabs too, an occasional dab of first bites. They have been eating algae that had been growing in a dead coral skeleton. Will try some freeze dried Hikari brine shrimp tomorrow. No blood worms , as I am VERY allergic.
:( Sorry little shrimp.

Maybe can get to the lfs and get a little of the live brine shrimp for them to try (my other fish will eat the the rest).

See what other brands there are locally.
Any ideas?

Back
Top Bottom