Orange Eye Blue Tiger Shrimp Adventure

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Waiting for a local seller to get back to me for $6. oebt or 10 for $55.

Hoping it is the same one I spoke with last year! He has a nice color blue shrimp.

So excited!

Waiting for a local seller to get back to me for $6. oebt or 10 for $55.

Hoping it is the same one I spoke with last year! He has a nice color blue shrimp.

So excited!

Cool! Hope it's the one's you want :) i had a look at these on ebay, boy are they expensive! Very pretty though. They had black tiger's too.

Yes, these are so beautiful.

So I emailed the local seller back and told him, to keep my email for the next batch. Said would let me know if it fell through and someone didn't show up this time to buy. It has been a couple days now , and no call so I am bummed, .....again!

Oh well, of the ones I do have, have appx 9 I think I identified as different.

There are 2 light blue and for sure 2 med. blue.

1 orangish one and a few blonds.

The smallest one, Egg Baby, is a medium blue, the tiniest one but most blue!!! Maybe will get darker as it ages. Hope, Hope, Hope! :D Good thing I got the egg in there, the seller keeping all the blue ones! EB doesn't have any tiger stripes yet..., it is so cute.

Egg Baby is half the size of the smallest shrimp, so I am believing it must have been an egg and caught in the filter pad.

This week at work is extremely tough so I will be back amongst the living after that I hope. Try to borrow a camera for some better pics, especially of the orange one and EB.

Tonight I was trying to get a pic or two when I think I saw another egg baby.

This one was smaller than EB looks tiny like it is a week to 2 weeks. Not as blue. About the size of a pin head 2-2.5 mm. Again it had orange eyes like the rest, so I am really shocked. It was barely visible and looks like a poo spec but it was on the white coral so I could see it. And with the magnifying glass could see it's orange eyes

I will be glad when these guys get bigger so I can figure out which is which. Also glad I didn't throw out the sponge filter floss thing it came with for the ride, and really wondering how many I could have tossed out when I did the first water changes!!!:blink:

New pics

Well here are the new pics. It has been nearly 2 months and finally I can see the shrimp without a magnifying glass. Although I still use one to get the pics and see them better ;).

Here is a group photo, and you can see the smaller one which is egg baby light.
60074-albums11858-picture55953.jpg

These are the darker two shrimp, the smaller one is egg baby dark blue.
60074-albums11858-picture55952.jpg

This one is a bad pic but gives a pretty good representation of the color of the darker ones.

60074-albums11858-picture55954.jpg

Adding water due to evaporation weekly and usually 25% pwc every two weeks. Mostly that was due to my moving schedule.

It is almost time to put them into the Edge 6.6 gallon tank. Now that I can see them to catch them. :lol:

The Edge has been fine and the Red Cherry shrimp living in there are doing well. The snails are also getting along fine as well.

The Edge tank has black sand so I imagine they will color up a little better.

Also found a supplier for the shrimp which has the bright and deep blue colors I am wanting. I will be getting another 10 OEBT shrimp about mid month. They have a very good reputation, so I am hopeful not to receive newly born microscopic babies this time. But we will see. this is a bit of an adventure.

Then they can all get bigger and start having new babies!!!

So far my current stock aren't old enough to get saddled or berried.

Thanks for checking them out!

Well it is a couple months later!

They are getting big and darker.

Today I noticed several which are light blue and have orange tails, all of them have orange eyes were swimming around a lot.

Then realized the filter was running very low/slow.

Cleaned out the impeller and that helped but I wanted to clean the sponge pre-filter and also the regular filter pad so I rinsed them in treated water.

Did a 50% pwc. Then when I poured the water in I did it pretty fast and it kicked up some gunk, so I Changed about 70% and the little oebt shrimp were scampering all around and trying to grab the turkey baster again.

Then they started getting feisty between each other, so I was wondering if we are getting close to mating season!

Couldn't really see any saddles, but I saw one male chasing a female for sure!!!

Water is clearing up as the filter runs through it. Not quite the crystal clear I am used to but probably by morning!

New interesting proposal/thoughts...

I was doing some reading about OEBT shrimp and I found some interesting comments about some shrimp...

Shrimp with yellow or white or orange eyes are "blind"!

Comments are being made that they are blind as they are missing some pigment which allows clear vision. So maybe like nearly blind or "legally blind" and can still distinguish between light and dark.

I am astounded! But also thinking it could be true!.

Recently I moved my OEBT tank next to my chair so I could stare at them more often. Lately, now that some are about to full grown size, I have noticed some different behavior, much more active and crazy swimming around the tank.

If they were of low level sight it would explain some of the really crazy behavior, especially dramatically emphasized movements and darting and a seemingly near impossible ability to settle on a leaf or rock like most any other shrimp will do.

This is mostly seen by a group of light to medium blue ones with orange tails and a kinda orange stripe down the back. There are 3-4 can't really tell for sure, and they are very crazy acting while the darkest ones seem to be mostly normal behaving.

Occasional darts here and there and swimming like little ballerinas. Picking at the plants and rocks and moss, like normal dwarf shrimp.

This is interesting. Wondering if anyone else has noticed this! :confused:

Please chime in!

Over the last few months I have lost many of the OEBT, I think some have went hungry due to to many snails eating all the food.

Got rid of most of the snails. Last week I added a Assassin snail for the pond snails.

I added Blue Velvets awhile back and they are seemingly fine together.

There are maybe half dozen or less OEBT shrimp left. Hard to tell since there is so much moss and plants.

So sad.

Over the last few months I have lost many of the OEBT, I think some have went hungry due to to many snails eating all the food.

Got rid of most of the snails. Last week I added a Assassin snail for the pond snails.

I added Blue Velvets awhile back and they are seemingly fine together.

There are maybe half dozen or less OEBT shrimp left. Hard to tell since there is so much moss and plants.

So sad.

So sorry to hear that. I didn't have any luck with my first try at shrimp so now I'm waiting untill I can set up a dedicated shrimp tank.

Thanks.

My Regular mixed Cherry shrimp have done great and my Fire Reds are doing well. (The Neos)

Going to get a bunch of Tangerine Tigers in a month when I get back from traveling. I will compare the two Caridina species care and development and see if I can tell what is going on. (Different tanks of course.)

The OEBT have me especially bummed out because I have been waiting for them for so long. I will try them one more time and see how it goes. (When I get back).

Your shrimp are really cool, Autumn.
I want to do a 2.5 gallon planted shrimp tank with one Scarlet Badis. Have your Tiger Shrimp bred yet? If so, would you mind giving me your E-mail because I was looking at Tiger Shrimp to, and maybe you could sell me some.

Thanks,

Nils

Your shrimp are really cool, Autumn.
I want to do a 2.5 gallon planted shrimp tank with one Scarlet Badis. Have your Tiger Shrimp bred yet? If so, would you mind giving me your E-mail because I was looking at Tiger Shrimp to, and maybe you could sell me some.

Thanks,

Nils

Thank you for the compliment. I don't have any OEBT atm. I am about to finally get Tangerine Tigers (TT) from a local breeder, in a couple weeks. They will go into the Blue Velvet tank. The TT are supposed to be very good breeders and not shy. I will go to your new thread to add info.

Not yet. The person I intended to get them from stopped selling my second source went to college and sold off his stock, and I am looking for the medium blue - first choice would be from German stock. Though now as this was quite awhile ago, there are more countries /breeders with nice stock, but none available near me.

Presently I have Tangerine Tigers and they are doing pretty well. I think I needed to dose Calcium/KH to keep them happy.

Ok so I decided to try the OEBT shrimp. I bought 24 from a seller in Massachusetts (I'm in Texas). I've had them for 3 days. I did have 1 dead on the second day, I currently have 23 alive. Hoping everything is good. They look good.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Ok so I decided to try the OEBT shrimp. I bought 24 from a seller in Massachusetts (I'm in Texas). I've had them for 3 days. I did have 1 dead on the second day, I currently have 23 alive. Hoping everything is good. They look good.

I'm so jealous, do you have pics or a post? One of the stocking options I was thinking about for the still in the box Spec 5 was OEBT and orange sakuras.

I'm so jealous, do you have pics or a post? One of the stocking options I was thinking about for the still in the box Spec 5 was OEBT and orange sakuras.

I just snapped these.... Not very good but here are some iPhone pics:

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1452401126.213508.jpg
ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1452401147.370148.jpg

My favorite combination of orange and blue!

I have a seller I wanted to buy from too maybe the same one. Will you please post a pic? EDIT - you were posting while I was typing, LOL

Have been trying to decide about the OEBT and the PRL available from the same seller (not in the same tank).

Dark, were they all that dark? Or medium like I think the pics on the sale thread were? Very pretty btw.

Last edited:
I have a 50/50 mix of medium striped blue and dark blue.

Back
Top Bottom