Orange Lab-like Africans at PetSmart

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Labenator65000

Aquarium Advice FINatic
In my local PetSmart's infamous "Assorted African Cichlids" tanks, the tank almost always is 90% full orange lab-like cichlids, like the one in this pic http://www.petsmart.com/product/zoom/index.jsp?productId=3953743. They all look very similar. Does anyone know what they could be? Are they mutts? Are they safe to go with standard Yellow Labs?

Yes, I am aware of the reputation that PetSmart has in some people's eyes. However, my sources for purchases are limited, and I have had good luck with them as long as I am cautious about it.

They do seem to be mutts. I have a friend that has a large aquarium with cichlids and bought all blue....I forget at the moment what they were, and they are now all yellow. My guess is that they are mutts. And I really like getting fish from PetSmart! They are a lot better than Walmart, which almost always all of the fish I get there die. RIP fish from Walmart! Hope this helps!

Labenator65000 said:
In my local PetSmart's infamous "Assorted African Cichlids" tanks, the tank almost always is 90% full orange lab-like cichlids, like the one in this pic http://www.petsmart.com/product/zoom/index.jsp?productId=3953743. They all look very similar. Does anyone know what they could be? Are they mutts? Are they safe to go with standard Yellow Labs?

Yes, I am aware of the reputation that PetSmart has in some people's eyes. However, my sources for purchases are limited, and I have had good luck with them as long as I am cautious about it.

Could be red zebra..

Im assuming they are red zebra... Cause we sell those too, and thats what they look like.

The fish pictured by the OP are most likely Red Zebras - they are generally more aggressive than the yellow Labs, will work in the same tank provided you have lots of hiding places, and lots of fish.

Wy Renegade said:
The fish pictured by the OP are most likely Red Zebras - they are generally more aggressive than the yellow Labs, will work in the same tank provided you have lots of hiding places, and lots of fish.

thanks!

Wy Renegade said:

OK then what are the common best practices for Red Zebras? e.g. M:F Ratio; rules for an all-male tank; never have them in states containing the letter "S", etc. You know, the kind of things that I wish I would have known before actually purchasing them...

Red zebras can be more aggressive than the more timid cichlids but arent really that bad. Just like many other africans, try to go with a 1:3 ratio. Feed a quality pellet and spirulna flake.

Malawi Freak said:
Red zebras can be more aggressive than the more timid cichlids but arent really that bad. Just like many other africans, try to go with a 1:3 ratio. Feed a quality pellet and spirulna flake.

+ 1 I have five red zebras and they don't cause me any problems.I have one male and four females.

Back
Top Bottom