Orange Poso Snails

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Wmc2009

Aquarium Advice Freak
I’m just looking for basic information. I just recently bought a group of 6 and I’ve lost 2. My tank stays at about 78 degrees. All Params are good. Tank is heavily planted with sand substrate. It’s a 7+ months established tank and I feed with fresh veggies, snail stix (shrimp king), and they graze decaying plant matter. I’m finding conflicting information about preferred temp and I’m wondering if that’s what I’m doing wrong. Is 78 degrees just to low? If Anyone out there have any advice It would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

Hi i keep and breed orange poso snail's, i keep mine around the same temp as you and have for 4yrs without issues. The same as you ive read warmer temps are better but mine are doing great and i didn't want the water any warmer for my shrimp.
I feed mine spinach which i find they go for before other veg. Also algae wafers, snail stix, hikari crab cuisine and a mix off frozen foods prefering brine shrimp. They also just eat naturals as well.
These snails can not move for day's which is natural for them, mine can lay about for up to a week without movement.
Any copper in your tank?
Hows the other snails are they moving and eating?

The other 4 are very active. Kale seems to be their preference. I keep mysteries with them and I pull two or three clutches out weekly. I know the breeding process is different between the two species but I would assume if I’m doing something wrong the mysteries wouldn’t be breeding like crazy. One of the two I’m considering dying hasn’t moved period, but there is no smell to it once I pull it out to check. Pest snails are crawling in and out of the shell which leads me to believe it’s dying. I haven’t seen it move in a few days. It has to be all the retracted back in the shell. I never knew they didn’t move for days or weeks at a time though. All the others are very active. So you think the temps aren’t a problem? I have Pygmy Cory’s, Amanos, blue rilis, and mystery snails in the same 30 gallon. I’m very adamant about water changes and double filtration.

Your temp is fine, i keep my tank at the same and my snails breed well.
Your not doing anything wrong its maybe just age with the other 2. Just keep doing the sniff test and hopefully they'll move for you. Mine can get really lazy especially my adults they can sit about for days then they wake up and off they go!
I keep loads off different snails and my poso are my fav [emoji3]

Yeah this is my second attempt at keeping them. Lol I probably baby them and worry too much. But they’re not exactly cheap critters to keep not to mention how hard it was for me to finally get my hands on some.

Yep they're definitely not cheap!
I just sold all my babies to my lfs as my tank was becoming overrun lol and its getting that way again [emoji6]
I hope you have better luck this time they are really interesting little critters. Just keep doing what your doing.

Back
Top Bottom