Orange Root looking thing

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

New2Salt

Aquarium Advice Freak
Ok, we finally got some books, but didn't see this one in there. Woke up this morning to find this on the glass. It's orange and looks like it has root appearance to it. Look forward to any info we can find on it, hope it's not harmful to the tank, looks like another one is forming just below it.

Well this one diappeared, but left a trace of where it was, now there are 3 more on the right side of the tank varying in size, they are orange and seem to have clear like roots jetting out from the ends. Very weird.

I cant really tell from the pic but does it look at all like what is on the sand bed? The items on the sand in that pic look simular to what is circled.

Are these only appearing on the rocks? Do you see anything comming out of the ends?

nothing on the rock or sand, just on the glass, that's what is weird. We have a lot of hair algae on the glass and now starting to get some red. If it weren't for that other rock we could probably have some snails by now and get rid of the algae, it's making it hard to look in the tank, don't want to scrape it don't want to kill the little white looking creatures that seem to be eating some of the algae. Anyways, yes there are like clear like vine things coming out at the end of the orange looking like roots. Sorry the pic isn't that great it was on the glass and hard to zoom in on it. Like I wrote before there are 3 on the right side, one is about the same size of the one that I took the pic of, it wasn't that big yesterday. It seems they start to grow and then disappear or get eaten, not sure what. You don't think it's some kind of worm do you?

just looked again, there are 4 of them on the right side of the tank and one in the back of the tank, but none of them are touching the sand.

I have the same thing...not quite as long, but very very orange. On one end you can definitely see antennae..but also the root looking things all over too. This one curls into a ball alot but doesn't move around very much.
Sorry, I broke my camera, no pics. :(

I have seen a critter that is similar to the one in your picture from what I can see. It is a bit far away, and not clear enough for me to see. :sorry: . The critter that comes to mind looking at your picture is a Ghost shrimp, the name comes from "National Audubon Society Field Guide to North American Seashore Creatures". I have had these in my 20 gallon tank. They were in some fauna that I retreived from the ocean while fishing. They are more of a brownish-yellow color, to transluscent. The ones I speak of are "pods" and hangout on the small branches of fauna. As far as I know, they are no harm to yr tank. The ones I had were eaten by the fish in the tank. I have attached a link. I hope this help.

http://www.microscopy-uk.org.uk/micropolitan/marine/arthropod/frame6.html

Back
Top Bottom