Orange snail? Orange algae?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Coralena

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hello. I'm sorry that I cannot post a picture but I am looking for help on identifying 2 things. The first is we've noticed orange/rust color algae has formed on our living sand....is this the algae from using the tap water to set it up? We think so but would like other opinions. Also a orange/rust color snail(same color as the algae) has appeared....anyone know what he could be? It possibly could be a slug? He's 1/4th inch, if that, right now. Thanks for your help! =)

~*~ Coralena ~*~

The first is we've noticed orange/rust color algae has formed on our living sand....is this the algae from using the tap water to set it up?

Sounds like diatoms, which could be fueled by the tap water, they are a normal part of the tank maturing. Once the silicates are used up, they will crash to a managable level. Easily controlled with snails of various types, eg; trochus, cerith, stomatellas, etc...

Also a orange/rust color snail(same color as the algae) has appeared....anyone know what he could be?

Probably the most common gastropod hitchiker are limpets and stomatellas, both are beneficial algae eaters/detrivores. To be sure of what you have we would need to see a pic, although I would suspect a Stomatella varia, they are called cap snails, cause it looks like they have an undersized shell ;)

Thanks =)

Thank you for responding. We were mildly concerned about the algae and it's not very pretty looking =) The little snail<?> is cute and hopefully he sticks around. He's so tiny but it doesn't look like he has a shell, not a visible one anyway. Will it hurt to add more live sand over the algae? We've been looking for people nearby with established tanks to get a cup of live sand from, for variety, so that is why I ask. Thanks again!

Re: Thanks =)

Coralena said:
We've been looking for people nearby with established tanks to get a cup of live sand from, for variety, so that is why I ask.
That is a highly recommended thing to do. Adding sand from and established and mature tank will greatly strengthen the bacterial population in your own tank as well as bringing with it some more diverse organisms. The small amount you will be adding will not do any harm at all, just good.(y)

Chers
Steve

Back
Top Bottom