Oscar and Dempsey?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MatthewM

Aquarium Advice Activist
Ok so I've always kind of wanted a electric blue Jack Dempsey and a Albino Tiger Oscar but these guy require large tanks and can't mix with very many species at all! What I was wondering is since I cant afford more many large tanks in money or space would it be possible to house these guys in a large aggresive tank together? If not I'll have to choose but I was just wondering if I could do this? It would be at least a 75g and these would probably be the only fish besides maybe some cories or a smaller pleco!

In a 75g, you might be able to keep them together. Just be sure they both have some well-defined "territories" of their own. Always be alert for signs of trouble.

I would say no, electric blue jack dempseys are very slow grows, rather fragile and not nearly as aggressive as their counterparts. The 75 gallon is barely large enough for a full grown adult Oscar to claim their own territory. IMO you would have to choose one or the other.

I would say no, electric blue jack dempseys are very slow grows, rather fragile and not nearly as aggressive as their counterparts. The 75 gallon is barely large enough for a full grown adult Oscar to claim their own territory. IMO you would have to choose one or the other.
I agree. I also would not put corys in with an oscar. They are too small and bite-sized IMO.

Ok thanks for the info! So since they are more timid would a electric blue dempsey do ok in a mixed chichlid tank!

MatthewM said:
Ok thanks for the info! So since they are more timid would a electric blue dempsey do ok in a mixed chichlid tank!

I'm still going to say no in that senario as well, they a pretty fragile when they are young and will more than likely get bullied to death. Best to have a 75 with a pair of EBJD or a single in a 55.

Ok then :( ohh well thanks for the advice! I guess Ill have to choose or just get myself more large tanks! Lol more tanks........well its a good problem at least! Lol

Back
Top Bottom