Oscar info

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Nathan_Drake

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
So I first wanted a native setup but I figured that wouldn't happen cause I ran out of money. It's too expensive ordering online so I kinda bailed on the whole native idea. I'm looking into oscars cause they look cool and destroy anything that can fit in their mouths so hit me with everything I need to know:thanks:

Hi there, im truely an oscar fan, ive had plenty and currently have a juvy tiger in my 55(it has a pretty large footprint not typical 55). First of all, these fish are what we call the dogs of fish because theyre just so affectionnate and have a great attitude. Theyll always come up to you for food and will even jump out to take it. You can hand feed after about a few weeks easily. All my oscars were aclimated and werent shy after being in my tank for 15 minutes litteraly. They will eat anything you give them, but be wary, they are messy fish so you have to have proper filtration. They grow up to 12-16 inches most of the time in captivity and they grow easily an inch a month. Largest ive had was 15. These fish are really sweet and not as agressive as people advertise. They only eat what fits into their mouth if they are hungry. They go well with semi agressive to peacrful fish or agressive fish if you have a tank 125+. Do not keep more than 1 oscar unless its a couple or you have more than 125 gallons. There are multiple types of oscars, most common being red and lutino. Tiger comes next, pure albino(pure white with red eyes), lemon and veil tail are the rarest. Also before i forget, dont place them in less than 75 gallons unless the footprint of your tank offers more than 18" large(mine is weird as i said and is 24 large) as they will barely have space to turn. If you have any more questions dont hesitate. I might have skipped a few :)

55 Gallon- Empty
125 Gallon- CKF and Tiger Oscar
220 Gallon- To come...

oscars need very good filtration they are messy eater , if youy feed feeders which is a bad idea there always sick they will make a mess with scales

Back
Top Bottom