Oscar tank mates? Please help.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

FishBoy185

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Ok, for my 75 gallon I have 1 tiger oscar. What else can I out with him? I was thinking 1 jack dempsey and 1 black convict. Is that alright? What else can I put with him? Please help.

Thanks

Brian

Attachments

• 20130624_202731.jpg
    20130624_202731.jpg
    110.8 KB · Views: 106
Its a bit of trial and error with those species. The Dempsey and Oscar need lots of tank.

I'd stick with the Oscar and the convict. Oscars have a high bioload and get large.

I have a needle nose gar and some silver dollars with mine and they all get along well

FishBoy185 said:
Could I do an oscar 1 convict and 3 tin foil barbs

Oscars are very limiting unfortunately. They are great fish but require a lot of space and really limit tankmates due to bioload. I'm living it right now in my 180g.

How attached are you to the Oscar?

How big is your Oscar? My large pair is about 10 inches and nothing bothers them. My smaller pair are 5 inches and 7 inches and get bullied by the Dempsey if I don't rearrange the tank often. I've tried convicts with my Dempsey but they fight constantly. It's really trial and error with Oscar tank mates. It breaks my heart when I wake up to nipped fins.

It all depends how much stress you want to put your oscar under and if you're able to rehome the tank mate if it doesn't work.

Back
Top Bottom