Oscar the GROUCH....

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

shalab

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
... or crouch I should say. 6 or 7 months ago, I bought 2 oscars from the dreaded walmart tank. the general looks of the tank, i just KNEW that one wouldn't make it. Knowing how big they can get, I bought 2, thinking that if one didn't make it, at least the other would be well established before becoming the sole proprietor of the tank. I had bought 2 rainbow sharks previously, but after vacation, I assumed my sister had scooped their dead bodies out and just didn't tell me. So 55 gallon tank with 2, soon to be 1 Oscar.

They both lived.

Both sharks were alive, just hiding.

I now have one GIGANTIC Oscar and one TINY Oscar. THe sharks seem fine. The oscars both seem fine. I just assume that, since they were both about 2 inches when I bought them, that the bigger, more agressive oscar is hogging all the food?

In any case, do I need to separate them? Everyone seems to get along. THey don't fight over food. They don't chase each other. What to do?

shalab said:
... or crouch I should say. 6 or 7 months ago, I bought 2 oscars from the dreaded walmart tank. the general looks of the tank, i just KNEW that one wouldn't make it. Knowing how big they can get, I bought 2, thinking that if one didn't make it, at least the other would be well established before becoming the sole proprietor of the tank. I had bought 2 rainbow sharks previously, but after vacation, I assumed my sister had scooped their dead bodies out and just didn't tell me. So 55 gallon tank with 2, soon to be 1 Oscar.

They both lived.

Both sharks were alive, just hiding.

I now have one GIGANTIC Oscar and one TINY Oscar. THe sharks seem fine. The oscars both seem fine. I just assume that, since they were both about 2 inches when I bought them, that the bigger, more agressive oscar is hogging all the food?

In any case, do I need to separate them? Everyone seems to get along. THey don't fight over food. They don't chase each other. What to do?

Do you have plans to upgrade to bigger tank soon if not your going to need to rehome those oscars very soon they get very big much to big for a 55

Not really. I do have another 55 gallon that isn't set up. It's actually in storage, but I guess 2 55 gallons don't make a 110 gallon, do they?

shalab said:
Not really. I do have another 55 gallon that isn't set up. It's actually in storage, but I guess 2 55 gallons don't make a 110 gallon, do they?

No they dont unfortunately you could set up the other and put one in there for now its either upgrade or rehome my dad kept one in a 75g just one and he was huge but had room though this was when i was a little kid that was my favorite fish out of the other tanks he had at the time lol

I LOVE "Spike" HE's so much fun. The little one is kinda boring. I assume he's a he?! :pouts: I don't wanna get rid of him!

shalab said:
I LOVE "Spike" HE's so much fun. The little one is kinda boring. I assume he's a he?! :pouts: I don't wanna get rid of him!

Then you should definitely look into a bigger tank like a 120-150g

So...... my local Craigslist has a 110 gallon will all supplies for $350 (set up now, so no leaks) or a 90g with a leak. just needs resealed. $40

shalab said:
So...... my local Craigslist has a 110 gallon will all supplies for $350 (set up now, so no leaks) or a 90g with a leak. just needs resealed. $40

Depends on what you can afford you could get away with the 90 for the two and no other fish cause their bioloads are heavier when bigger somebody cam correct me if im wrong the 110 would be better though

shalab said:

Also wheeling and dealing you could get the 350 price to drop

Offer $275, or $300 for the tank, like previously stated they will normally come down on price. If you want to keep both Oscars you should go with the 110. Is it a 6ft tank?

Back
Top Bottom