Oscar with hole in the head

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Hikari Cichlid Gold pellets at the moment.

I'm not a fan of those pellets as their basically just fillers, if your a Hikari fan I'd at least use the Bio-Gold line. Nutrition plays a vital role as I'm sure your aware of so with ocellatus being prone to certain disease's I wouldn't skip.

Just keep the nitrates around 10ppm and feed a quality food, there's no reason to do anything other than that.

Ken's Premium Metronidazole & Garlic Flake
It wont hurt anything to feed them this for a week to ten days.
I don't really understand hexitima because i don't keep chiclids, but it wont hurt just like doctors give you an antibiotic for a cold, at least it cleans ur system out so the immune system can contend with ONLY the virus not the virus and bacteria parasites and mold, and get overwhelmed.
Just sayin, either way its HITH or HLLE, this food probably would help.

I would absolutely advise against treating without a diagnosis as microorganisms such as bacteria, viruses, fungi, and parasites can change in ways that render the medications used to cure the infections they cause ineffective, essentially building a resistance.

I would absolutely advise against treating without a diagnosis as microorganisms such as bacteria, viruses, fungi, and parasites can change in ways that render the medications used to cure the infections they cause ineffective, essentially building a resistance.

In the short lifespan of a pet fish, this is completely irrelevant. The lifespan gets even shorter if you don't medicate and the fish dies.

If upping his wc is working, why add medication? Without a diagnosis its best to go with pristine water. Unnecessary expense and then exposing the fish's flora when it could have healed without it. Just jumping straight to medicating as your first line of defense is proven to build resistance. Clean water is a miracle worker.

In the short lifespan of a pet fish, this is completely irrelevant. The lifespan gets even shorter if you don't medicate and the fish dies.

you realize many fish live 20+ years, which yes is short compared to humans but even compared to a dog is long.

Please stop giving me crap. It was just a suggestion. Stay on topic and help this guy with hexitima plz.

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

Well its obvious you don't understand the life span of cichlids, specically this particular one because it's far from short.

I also remember one of your threads where the parasite your were treating was building a resistance to metro. So yes any organism can build a resistance to mediations, even in a short time frame. You don't seem to understand how these organisms work, they have been around far longer than our treatments. For someone who try's to come as "expert" in fish treatment you don't undertand the basic principles.

you realize many fish live 20+ years, which yes is short compared to humans but even compared to a dog is long.

This is completely accurate.

I've adopted the stance to use medications as a last resort for... pretty much everything. Although that seems counter intuitive since I pass obscene amounts of meds in nursing school. 23 meds a day for a patient is my record so far :D

The metronidazole is far from harmless though. Its metabolized by the liver and excreted by the kidneys so has the possibility of damaging both of those systems and getting a liver or kidney transplant for a fish isn't gonna happen :)

Either way whether it's hlle or hith it's not a fatal disease unless it's allowed to progress unchecked for a long amount of time which won't be happening.

I've dropped the nitrates considerably and am going to mix in feeding him my marine pellets which are quite a bit higher quality than the Hikari ones I use for my oscar.

Technically I should be on 23 meds a day... i digress.. I'm with you on the last resort, i employ the same stand with myself, I don't use hand sanitizer every time I touch a gas pump, my immune system is kicking:) my mom is a nurse, she'd bring home these epic colds when u was younger.. it'd have to be good to crack her immune system.. blah blah too much coffee. .

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I do understand the basic principles. And once again ill ask people to stop giving me carp and stay on subject. I understand that a big fish can live a long time, and medicine is a last resort. Truthfully, ive helped dozens of people on here and been thanked a couple dozen times. Now its me against the wall because i suggest him to treat HITH with metrodiazole......wow i am amazed that you all consider that "bad advice". Forget it, Im about done with this fourm anyway. And im definately done with this thread! Besides, my fish didnt even have hexitima. Does anyone really know EXACTLY what their fish has? NO ofc not. Thats why we use medicine that is broad spectrum because were not gonna do bloodwork or stool samples on a fish.

I do understand the basic principles. And once again ill ask people to stop giving me carp and stay on subject. I understand that a big fish can live a long time, and medicine is a last resort. Truthfully, ive helped dozens of people on here and been thanked a couple dozen times. Now its me against the wall because i suggest him to treat HITH with metrodiazole......wow i am amazed that you all consider that "bad advice". Forget it, Im about done with this fourm anyway. And im definately done with this thread!

Wow, a bit sensitive?

How's the oscy mebbid??

How's the oscy mebbid??

Enormous. I've been feeding him my saltwater pellets which he seems to like, although not as much as his regular ones. They are a bit too small for him.

Enormous. I've been feeding him my saltwater pellets which he seems to like, although not as much as his regular ones. They are a bit too small for him.

Health wise ok? I feed sera sw pellets to the corys and pleco, everyone else goes for them too.. gotta get that krill:)

Health wise ok? I feed sera sw pellets to the corys and pleco, everyone else goes for them too.. gotta get that krill:)

The hole hasn't gotten any bigger but it's really too early to tell for sure.

Mebbid, have you been able to get pics? I'm curious for my learning purposes what to look out for. I'm sure you caught it early. Also curious, how old/big it is...

I know this is bad and I belong to the cold water Goldie section really but I'm curious to see what this looks like

Sent from my Kestrel using Aquarium Advice mobile app

With my good camera being out of commission I can't get a decent picture of it, theres just not enough contrast between him and the wound and its about the size of a tooth pick.

Here's one with a bit more advanced stage of it though
img_3143519_0_db5adf2ec2c57f7ba27c37a5e20e72c6.jpg

Back
Top Bottom