Oscars growth

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Adwiiii

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hy is one of my oscars bigger then the rest when they are the same age?

6 tiger ocsars two of which are albino

There are lots of reasons really: genetics, being out competed for food, water conditions from where they originally came from.....Just feed them a good quality pellet like NLS, Hakari or Omega One and do plenty of water changes to keep they water conditions pristine. If you those two things they will grow like weeds.

Out of curiosity what size tank are they in?

At the moment I got them in a three foot tank but just got a six foot one gunna swap them soon

A 6' tank will help out in the long term for the health of the fish but all of them can't be housed in that tank long term. Once they get up to breeding size it will be an all out war in that tank with as much water on the floor as in it. My best guess is 1-2 fish will come out in the end.

How often are you changing the water the tank the juveniles are housed in now? I would recommend 50-80% daily to keep the waste down.

Wow I didn't know that I gotta get rid of a few, erm im changing the water tri weekly

Yep they will start to get nasty especially when then can start/want to breed. Just keep an eye of your water levels, I would test everyday and preform water changes whenever need it will most likely be pretty close to every day. Vacuuming the gravel after feeding and then topping off the water will help to.

You could get a good couple of bucks for them. I wouldn't say more than five though. They normally will give you half of what they will sell the fish. Oscars will be sold at a local shop for $7-$10 dollars depending on their size when they are juvies, maybe twenty if you get lucky. Albinos will generally be the same price or a dollar more. Just give them a call or just bring them in. They might do consignment though, which will take a while. Oscars don't fly off of the shelves at local shops.

Back
Top Bottom