Oscars

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

redsea

Aquarium Advice Addict
Why does Liveaquaria say they are "Difficult" to keep? I was just wondering, because I always thought they were a pretty easy fish. Thank you.

Because they are lying :) They are quite easy to keep though they do need EXTREMELY good filtration. I think thats why they say that.

Thanks! The reason why I ask is because someday I might want to have some, because I hear they have great personalities. What do you think the minimum size is for more than one? Is there any fish you can keep with them? Lastly, what would be a good aquarium size for just ONE. Thank you and sorry if this sounds confusing.:lol:

Minumum size would be a 55 with loads of filtration, but I would suggest a 75 so they have some more wiggle room. They're quite aggressive, but when kept alone they are like your pet "dog", I've even seen some people play catch with theirs with a ping pong ball!
For two I would say 110 or more minimum. Keep in mind they are aggressive, so watch out. I would try a pair but even that always doesn't work out, I remember HUKIT saying once how his male killed his female unexpectedly.
Tank mates could be anything that doesn't fit in its mouth. Schoolers could be congo tetras (just guessing here), silver dollars, denison barbs, or anything else big. Big catfish can work also. If you wanted to keep it with other cichlids I'd suggest a really big tank to start out with, to minimize aggression.

OK, well the rule for oscars is either keep one or keep six or more... If you want six you need atleast a 500g... So I'm assuming you'll want one. I've heard of people keeping them with JD's. I think 55 would be a minimum for one, though 75 would probably be the best. They are very, very hardy, though hole in the head disease is quite common, but it can be prevented with good water and a good diet. They eat everything. I would feed them a diet of pellets (Hikari gold or bio gold+ seem the be the best), then vary the diet with feeder fish, krill, fish fillets, shrimp, and other meaty frozen food. Make sure you feed the feeder fish brine shrimp so they are nutritious for the oscar.

Oscars are extremely messy. Difficulty of keeping doesn't just consider hardiness, but also how much "work" they are to keep.

Oscars have very high bioloads- with a voracious appetite, and a proclivity to much poop that matches.

Thy like to dig in the substate, so planting of any kind (real or fake) is a pain or nearly impossible (there have been exceptions...). They will kill and eat anything they THINK will fit in their mouths.

When subjected to water quality issues (which can happen unexpectedly), the can developed hole-in-the-head disease (though usually not fatal if conditions are fixed quickly).

They also need a lot of gallons per fish.

Oscars can be very entertaining and have more "personality" than many fish.

75 gallons.
55 gallons maybe for a female.
Oscars are messy eaters and produce alot of waste. as everyone has said it's quite important.

But oscars are easy to keep and extremely rewarding pets provided they have a large enough home and adequate filtration. Just be aware of there lifespan.

This parts just my own opinion... They get put down as hard to keep because of the amount of people that decide to get one for there small community tank. The Oscar of course eats everything and quickly outgrows the tank.
Basically trying to keep a fish in below minimum conditions is always going to be hard - impossible

KonvictKeeper said:
OK, well the rule for oscars is either keep one or keep six or more... If you want six you need atleast a 500g...

That is a new one on me I have never heard this before and I've read allot about Oscars. You can keep two in a large tank, around 125 gallon but it can prove difficult.

Well you could hypothesize the same about most large semi aggressive cichlid species, with enough tank space they'll be fine, but it'd take something along the lines of a large swimming pool I'd think, lol.

I know with the sunfish that I deal with, that they claim certain territory sizes, so I guess you could theoretically figure out how much room you 'd need for "X" fish, but it's definitely not something I would bank on.

It also comes down to individual personalitys.
For example I've seen 4 male bettas in a 20 gallon go fine. Still same fish today nearly 6 months later.
But I wouldn't bet on being able to have that sort of set up ever again...
Same with oscars 2 or more can work but odds of you being lucky enough are against you.

Although a mated pair would be great in a 125+

Who wants to keep more than two of those bottomless pits anyways. I used to keep or be able to keep several small crayfish in the tank with my Oscar and gave them layers of rock to hide under. They come out at night and uh...eat crap. Unfortunetly the sob figured out how to flip rocks and has nothing else to do all day. A quick weekly substrate vac keeps him clean and water changes are lined up with the other tanks every 3-4 weeks.

As they get larger they will attack anything in the tank they don't like. Rocks. Plants. Heater. A well fed monster is nearly rage free but a clean tank it does not make.

The interaction this fish gives to you should greatly outweigh having to spend 10 mins a week cleaning.

Back
Top Bottom