Oscars

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Sharpy

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi there!

I read online that the typical tiger oscar needs at least a 55 gallon tank, and I was wondering, if a I wanted two oscars in a tank would I need to double the size? Or would a 65 gallon tank be enough? I would be buying them as babies (2-3inches at the most) so they would have the tank their whole lives most likely. TIA!

I'd say fifty five gallons each. They can get pretty territorial, and they get VERY big, VERY fast.

I believe most people like to say 55 gallons minimum... but 75 gallons for a happy oscar. I think people suggest maybe 25-30 gallons for each additional oscar. Check out my profile for my setup... I've had it setup with those fish for about a week maybe a week and a half with no problems as of yet. I've heard Oscars are more aggresive towards other species... but I've also heard they are aggresive towards each other... I dont really know :\

I would suggest at least 90 fo two oscars. Even then you may have problems, sometimes a pair just won't get along. They usually are fine if they grow up together.

I would say a 125 gal for two oscar for life.

1 Oscar in a 55 gal is not good, since standard 55 gal is only 12" wide, most Oscar grow bigger than 12".

I think 1 Oscar need a 65 gal for itself.

I see, thanks for all the help so far!

Would I be able to add a pleco to a 90 gallon if there were two oscars?

Pleco w/Oscars

A Pleco should be fine with the Oscars, especially small ones. I try to give my pleco a place to hide from my large Oscars. Sometimes I notice his top fin might get a little shredded, so I keep an eye on him.

Back
Top Bottom