Other Than Fish?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ace1uno_00

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Okay i LOVE my fish. But, Is there anything else i can get for my new 80 Gal tank? Is there something i can add to my tank that wont outgrow it? what about a species of turtle that wont out grow my tank? Small breed stingray?
or can a newt stay under water its whole life span?
Just wondering.
I cant have african dwarf frogs. My cichlids pick at them too much.

I would like some suggestions.
Thanks guys.

I have a ropefish. I was thinking a eel. but i know, they get huge like 534321634 inches. are there any that wont outgrow my tank? a sepcific breed?

how about converting some of your tanks into terrariums? you could build overflows or get them drilled and put in wet/dry setups! you have so many tanks I would go nuts with plans!! LOL later ace! :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

LOL @ greenmagi. I know. im starting to catch some ideas. but i've always had this dream to have a turtle in my aquarium. My Girlfriends best Friend has a 300 gallon tank with stingrays, a 3 foot arrowana and a turtle. She doesnt know what kind it is but its ALWAYS in the tank swimming it never needs to come out. i want one. lol

they have little turtles around here called painted turtles.. they are wild around here but your not suppose to catch them.. you can buy them captive bread around here though. you need something that floats in the tank so they can get out every once in a while though.. the terrarium idea would work.. I have seen it done in pet stores... :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

have you seen how long most turtles live for- and the ones which don't live for ages are boring and dig themselves in sand for weeks- oh aand sand you gotta have sand- PM tortis he knows more than me about turtles

The only vaguely suitable turtles would be softshells, and your setup would likely be less than ideal (they prefer to be able to reach the water's surface - via extensile neck and tubular nostril extensions - whilst lying on the substrate), and might wish to utilize (albeit quite infrequently) a haul-out platform (above which should be a herpetile spot light for purposes of basking); vitamin supplements and UV lights would probably be necessary as well. In addition, the females of most North American Trionyx spp. (the genus most frequently available in the aquarium hobby) attain carapace lengths nearing two feet, at which point they are more than capable of severing fingers (the males of most morphotypes are more manageable as regards length); certain Eurasian and African species (more infrequently available) may achieve carapace lengths exceeding four feet.

The only truly aquatic snakes I know of are tentacle snakes (Erpeton tentaculatum) (a rear-fanged, and though quite reluctant to bite, mildly venomous Southeast Asian Colubrid). E. tentaculatum is often imported highly stressed and with a substantial parasite load, but hobbyists have reported their specimens to thrive in captivity, feeding well and, in some cases, breeding.

Of the following - aquatic invertebrates (from shrimp to sponges and diving beetles); salamanders; caecilians; and frogs - what exactly interests you?

Well i really want a turtle that doesnt need a dock or a basking light.
I would want a newt but i cant find alot of people that know about them.

ace1uno_00 said:
Well i really want a turtle that doesnt need a dock or a basking light.

With your standard setup, that's likely out of the question (though it might be possible with a male softshell and shallower water); in addition, turtles have a tendency to consume or mutilate even relatively large tankmates.

Newts tend to be quite passive feeders, and many of the most commonly available species are better suited to coldwater setups.

What fish do you presently have in said aquarium?

There are lobsters that are pretty cool too. Also clams, crabs, and frogs.

Back
Top Bottom